ok so i've read about the importance of matching your pickup with the kind of wood your guitar is made of.... well im getting an esp m-400 and it is made of alder (lots of treble from what ive seen) and 2 emg 81's.... id like to change the neck pickup to either an emg 85 or a 60.... im not sure what kind of tone this will produce can someone tell me? i know 85 is supposed to be bassy and i think (correct me if im wrong) that the 60 is bright... so the 85 would be sort of flat and the 60 would have like screaming highs maybe? thanks all
i think so, id get the 85... the 60 is really good for cleans from what ive heard though so if you want cleans look that one up
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
the 60 wouldnt really have screaming highs since its in the neck position. id reccomend the 60 personally, cus you'll probably be using the 81 for dirty and that kindof sucks for the cleans in my opinion, and i think the 60 has the best clean sound
Quote by kirkhammett09
ok so i've read about the importance of matching your pickup with the kind of wood your guitar is made of.... well im getting an esp m-400 and it is made of alder (lots of treble from what ive seen) and 2 emg 81's.... id like to change the neck pickup to either an emg 85 or a 60.... im not sure what kind of tone this will produce can someone tell me? i know 85 is supposed to be bassy and i think (correct me if im wrong) that the 60 is bright... so the 85 would be sort of flat and the 60 would have like screaming highs maybe? thanks all

Since active EMGs are very weak pickups with a pre-amp boost, they pick up barely any of their tonal characteristics from the body wood, neck construction, etc.

EMGs will sound pretty much the same in any guitar.

But yea, an 81 in the neck position will be more trebley than an 85 in the neck position only because the 85 is warmer by design.

The 85 is a decent pickup in comparison to all pickups, only in the neck position. The 81 lacks tone and low-end in my opinion. Seymour Duncan does much better at active pickups. No active pickup, however, can match the tone and character of a passive.
Quote by i_baked_cookies
No active pickup, however, can match the tone and character of a passive.

+a lot. an actives just not the same as a passive pup
ok i dont think i gave enuff information..... i like thrash metal and death metal (metallica, megadeth, slayer, testament, heathen, death, morbid angel, celtic frost, etc.).... ill be soloing on the neck pickup and just wanted to know if 60 or 85 would be better for soloing (not clean though, distorted)... im really leaning towards the 60 since metallicas my fav band and hetfield uses that combo but slayer and a lot of others use 81/85...... so 85 or 60 for soloing?
ok i looked at seymour duncan active pickups now im super confused.. i thought the only big active pickup brand was emg.... is it ok to have 2 pickups each different brands? also what do u think the best seymour duncan pickup is?