I've been playing for about a year and a half and I've been practicing speepicking with 4 notes for like a month. How long would it take to see any progress before I can move on to like 6 notes?

Can you recommend any songs or licks to start on speedpicking?
A Bid Farewell by Killswitch Engage

the chorus to that song is Tremolo Picking
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Metal_Hed_23, will you marry me?

Quote by drewfromutah
If she takes her pill properly and you still pill out or use a condom, just quit having sex altogether. The damn pill was built so that you can ride bareback and film your own creampie movies afterwards.
Quote by Metal_Hed_23
A Bid Farewell by Killswitch Engage

the chorus to that song is Tremolo Picking

he said speed picking, not trem picking
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Er, define speed picking then? I can't think of anything that comes in-between alternate and tremolo picking, unless it's just a slow tremolo pick...
I'm a communist. Really.
there's no rule that precludes you from practicing both. When you get into more advanced pieces you'll notice players frequently have passages that alternate between 16th notes, quintuplets, and sextuplets ie 4, 5, and 6 notes per beat. It's no harder to practice 6 just slow down the pace on your metronome to compensate for the two additional beats and move it gradually up as you progress.
i have some great tips for you... now when i speed pick it is best for me to hold my pick on its side. I hold mine in a fist, and i dont use the little point, that makes it ALLOT harder to speed pick because its too pointy and thin, it just catches on the string, holding it on the side for me makes it allot easier to slide up and down the string. Also,

when you are speed picking, it is best that you Palm Mute. This will give you a much better sound, itll come out clear and you can hear what you arent doing right.

You also need distortion.. I have a Fender 15 R... best damn amp i have ever used, and i have used plenty ive been a guitarist for about 5 years now..

________Settings_________
Drive Effect :: On
Gain :: 10
Treble :: 9
Middle :: 2
Bass:: 2-1 or 0
Reverb :: 4
Thanks dude. Wish my amp had an equalizer. So would you switch the way you hold the pick when you're done speedpicking and moving to another riff or do you always hold it like that?
Quote by themagician
i have some great tips for you... now when i speed pick it is best for me to hold my pick on its side. I hold mine in a fist, and i dont use the little point, that makes it ALLOT harder to speed pick because its too pointy and thin, it just catches on the string, holding it on the side for me makes it allot easier to slide up and down the string. Also,

when you are speed picking, it is best that you Palm Mute. This will give you a much better sound, itll come out clear and you can hear what you arent doing right.

You also need distortion.. I have a Fender 15 R... best damn amp i have ever used, and i have used plenty ive been a guitarist for about 5 years now..

________Settings_________
Drive Effect :: On
Gain :: 10
Treble :: 9
Middle :: 2
Bass:: 2-1 or 0
Reverb :: 4

You must have played one hell of a succession of crappy amps then...and as far as palm muting goes that's poor advice, you only do that to cover up sloppy technique.

TS - forget about speed and concentrate on accuracy because that's what's important. If you can play accurately then speed develops naturally, it just doesn't happen overnight and people get impatient. It's not something that happens in days, or even weeks...it takes months or years to notice the improvement.

The moment you start TRYING to play fast you get tense and sloppy, however a lot of people settle for that simply because they're impatient and want instant results. Find the speed at which you can play comfortably, cleanly and accurately and look to build on that. That's why the metronome is important, it allows you to gradually increase speed over time. Withput it you invariably try to do too much, too quickly and go back to being sloppy.

Steve Vai tells it how it is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPvvTJ0ySPw
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com