Page 1 of 2
He's really good,but left me feeling down. i played for him everything i knew and he said my technique is bad. he says im a speed demon and i do things incorrectly. i thought he'd start off by teaching me how to use solo and crap,but he wants me to alternate pick correctly and have proper technique. it's funny i asked him do u listen to metal and he said a bunch of pop-rock songs. he wants to hear the guitarists that have influenced me the most,but i doubt he'll like them. also now he wants me to just play clean and w/o distortion
I think you should listen to your guitar teacher play and see if he can do anything complicated.
It's also important to be able to play cleanly.

OR

Find a teacher that will teach what you want to learn and actually knows about metal.
Did you really think you could solo without learning how to alternate pick correctly? He wants you to learn w/o distortion so it won't hide your mistakes. Don't be down though, he's just trying to help you.
Quote by codynw42
i am stupid enuff to do it becuz i just did. i feel nothing, there is no high and im not dizzy or anything... its just nasty.

Ryu Hayabusa of the UG Society of Ninjas
ok, most guitarists love to hide behind distortion and that just shows that they're a ****ty player. if you want to be a good player, you need great technique and have to be able to play with and without distortion.
comeon, you have to start with the basics before you move on to the advanced techniques. not to mention, the better you are at the basics, the easier everything else will become. is there something wrong with playing clean...? if your working on technique, distortion will just make it difficult to tell wether or not your picking technique(etc.) is correct. Also, i dont think it should matter if you think your teacher wont like your idols. If theyre what influences you, he has no right to say they shouldnt. not to mention, you the one paying him so...
ehh
he's got taste he likes stuff that i like,just its not metall. he's like a jazz fusion guitarist that plays everything. its funny he had students there and i have bad technique,but i was still able to do more than them. also it sucks cause i can only speak spanish to him since he just came here from cuba.
Do you not want proper technique? Try not alternate picking... just about anything above Nirvana-level. I don't understand what you meant by "learning to use solo and crap". Sounds like you should listen to him and learn things then get a teach more suited to your needs when you get past the basics.

EDIT: I just read the Spanish speaking part. Get new teacher. NOW!
or
realize he's probably right.
technique is one of the most important things to have a solid footing in. basically, it's your foundation. you don't build the walls of the house before you have a foundation set in. and in my eyes, sweep picking, shredding, and all of those things are pretty much the roof of the house.
and also, just because he doesn't listen to metal doesn't mean he doesn't appreciate it and has no skill. i'd stick with it and make sure you get your technique and everything really solid, then if it really doesn't work out, move on.
Playing cleanly is the difference between the G3 tour and Dragonforce whankery... Revelations 1:5:1
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
i feel down because i was self-taught for a year and now im just back to doing 1234,but properly -_- no more riffage for me
Quote by The_Nightwish
Boot him.

and get a guitar teach with taste.

youre dumb.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
You should ALWAYS practice without distortion unless you know the song perfectly. This is comming from a 15 year old kid who plays punk and some metal. (Me) Not some stuffy jazz-head.
Quote by hethamulburton
Playing cleanly is the difference between the G3 tour and Dragonforce whankery... Revelations 1:5:1

thats a good quote lol

the only bad thing my teacher did was make fun of my fav. band, primus

he said all it sounds like to him is (he proceeded to randomly hit his guitar strings and talk really fast)

its kind of true, but....
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
he told me that with learning properly now i'll be better in a month or 2 than i was b4 when i played self-taught for a year
Quote by whenshoesattack
Did you really think you could solo without learning how to alternate pick correctly? He wants you to learn w/o distortion so it won't hide your mistakes. Don't be down though, he's just trying to help you.

+1 the things your teacher said make sense
Swallow your pride and do what he says, you'll be MUCH better for it.

Unless of course you aren't fluent in Spanish. That would be too much of a barrier to learn much through.
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
he's got taste he likes stuff that i like,just its not metall. he's like a jazz fusion guitarist that plays everything. its funny he had students there and i have bad technique,but i was still able to do more than them. also it sucks cause i can only speak spanish to him since he just came here from cuba.

how do you think the majority of guitarists solo? its theory my friend.

Jazz = Shitload of theory

if you can sucessfully improv jazz stuff, you are infact a better metal guitarist.

Also, grow an open mind for music.
ehh
Quote by skaguitarist53

if you can sucessfully improv jazz stuff, you are infact a better metal guitarist.

+1

if you master jazz and blues, you can do ANYTHING
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
there's not that much of a barrier,but id be more comfortable speaking english eventhough spanish is my first language.
I've messed with teachers that aren't on the same page with me, so I know... Just get out of it. It's probably not going to get better with him, So get somebody more your style.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
"its funny he had students there and i have bad technique,but i was still able to do more than them."

He sounds like a good instructor.
You need to understand the proper techniques. Also spend some time at your lesson without your guitar and have him teach you some music theory. This is very important.

You kids? need to learn that although metal is cool, it is not the be all.
Have you have ever seen Charo, yes that Charo play flameco? If you have a chance check her out and ask your self if you dont think she could shred on an electric?
If you ever have the chance, watch the episode of the old Odd Couple show that Roy Clark is in. He does the MOST incredible guitar playing at the end of the show. Well worth it.

Bottom line is that just because you can play metal and play fast does not make you a great guitar player.

Remember, playing guitar is lifelong. Dont worry about where you are after a short while. Plan on a year or to to become proficient,
Most of all have fun!
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
i think he's good though, he's gonna make me expand the music genres i listen.

hooray.

i guess since hes straight from cuba and speaks mostly spanish, he might listen to more spanish-y music. that would explain why he only suggested a couple of mainstream songs(since he would know them in english), or because he figured you would know them.
ehh
dont ditch that teacher. hes good, but odnt judgehim on his taste of music. whats the point of playing a distoerted part if youre going to sound like crap on clean? Plus it will sound better when its distorted because you will make less mistake. and learn the basics, alternate pick everything unless its stated in the music. but for the most par, alternat epick
Quote by hethamulburton

sigged
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows
Hey, be thankful he's being honest with you and trying to help you improve.
Quote by gflip69
Someone called me on my landline (home phone) and asked me where I was.
You're teacher is right. You can't even alt pick, he knows what is best.
Sounds like he's doing his job.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
yea he reminds me of eddie van halen a little. eddie said that he'd be able to play w/e he heard on radio and i heard the instructor playing really weird songs and i said howd u learn those and he says watching tv he'll just play wat he hears. it was weird cause it was that fergie song big girls dont cry
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
He's really good,but left me feeling down. i played for him everything i knew and he said my technique is bad. he says im a speed demon and i do things incorrectly. i thought he'd start off by teaching me how to use solo and crap,but he wants me to alternate pick correctly and have proper technique. it's funny i asked him do u listen to metal and he said a bunch of pop-rock songs. he wants to hear the guitarists that have influenced me the most,but i doubt he'll like them. also now he wants me to just play clean and w/o distortion

God forbid you play correctly.
Member of the grammar nazis.

Quote by Firenze

I remember the first time I "shaved" my pubes. I'm not gonna go into details, but I will tell you this: to this day, I don't understand why I thought using a combat knife would be a good idea...
Quote by dreamtheater91
sigged

Thank you. Maybe now we'll have a world with people who can play a song without the Digitech Death Metal pedal adding so much background noise and feedback that it masks the horrible playing below.

Also, ask your teacher about ways to beef up the muscles in your hands and wrists. Almost every style of music incorporates sweep picking and that requires a steady picking style with very dexterous digits to cleanly play the notes.

And playing clean, without distortion is the best thing you, and personally I, did for myself. It reveals all your mistakes and allows you an opportunity to correct them. In fact, when you start recording it is recommended to either turn the gain to half of what you use live or to record two simultaneous clean tracks. You would add effects to one of the two identically recorded tracks... this means it muddies up one track and applies the desired effect, but the clean secondary track allows the articulation of the notes to come through. That is a proven recording tip and is used widely... that's why they made it so you can record multiple tracks at once.

I really want to go back to lessons and learn my music theory... you just don't know how utterly important it is until you realize that all your solos do not display your full talent-- simply because you didn't know what to play.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by whenshoesattack

Listen to this guy, and your guitar teacher. If you can't play well without distortion, all you're doing is covering up your poor technique with loads of effects.

Do what he says, and you'll be better off for it.

if he's from Cuba, you really can't expect him to know underground metal bands man, over in other poorer countries they'll be lucky to get even a fraction of the music we have access too. i can also understand a metal head not wanting to learn something like jazz, hell when i first started learning jazz i thought it was extremely boring and a waste (and in some cases i still do) but i also see the upsides to learning other genres besides the one you mainly play. you'll learn different styles and different ways of playing that you can incorporate into your metal playing. my advice to you, if you truly want to stick to your metal roots, you can either get a teacher who teaches classical music, it would help you 100 fold with your playing and give you some other skills besides just downpicking 16th notes and blazing through scales, or you can get an actual teacher who teaches "metal" guitar and you can learn from him.

the whole point of getting a teacher is to have him show you what you want to learn and have him break it down and simplify it for you first so you can get a better grasp of it. if you think your current teacher is doing a bad job of doing that (no matter how good of a guitar player he is) get a new teacher.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
i dont mind learning jazz just every band i told him he was like wat? and from what i saw from him teaching another student he noes his theory very well.

cool ur from ny wat part?
i'm from Brooklyn, the rain sucked today didn't it?

yea my teacher is like that too, he's a jazz snob so basically anything that isn't jazz is inferior in his eyes. he knows the rock bands that anyone who doesn't live under a rock knows and he bags on metal a lot but since he's a young guy it's funny sometimes. since he's taught me an encyclopedia of chords i never would have learned on my own i've stayed with him for about 2 years now, and he's a cool guy once you get past his snobbishness lol. also i take guitar in school so i really don't have much of a choice when it comes to teachers

it doesn't really matter if your the best in the class, you'll always have room to grow and that's what matters. i can play things other kids in my class and sometimes my teacher are impressed by, but the fact that i can always learn and progress keeps me in the class. any teacher you'll find knows their theory (or else they can't be a certified teacher), it just depends on which teacher you like better.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Meh, I can what everyone is saying, but it seems like some of you are overlooking another important part of being a good teacher: being encouraging and supportive of your students.

Maybe this guy was and the TS just didn't like the criticism...I have no idea because I wasn't there. However, it could also be that he was simply pointing out problems with his playing without being at all encouraging and that is no way to make someone want to learn. My first teacher was a dick that knew a lot, but always made sure to focus on everything I did wrong wrong rather than what I did right. I stopped going to lessons and found a teacher that actually appreciated my potential and wanted to help and guide me through. I stuck with him because he didn't make me feel like crap, but still made sure I corrected my mistakes. To me, that's the way to do it. Maybe that's just me though.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Page 1 of 2