in thrash metal (metallica, megadeth, testament, slayer) do they typically solo in the neck or bridge position? or does it vary? and is one position meant for lead and other for rythm? thanks all
Usually, I play neck for rhythm and bridge for lead. But it's personal preference.
My Setup
Fender Stratocaster Highway One HSS
Marshall Lead 12 Combo 5005
Depends on the guitar, the pickup and the amp. Usually, neck pickups have a lot more bass and mids when it comes to high notes, while the bridge is bright and trebly. They MIGHT use the neck pickup quite often, but who knows? Who cares? Their neck pickup is, 99% certainly, different from yours, and they've spent months fine calibrating their sound in a studio.
I'm a communist. Really.
For high gain I use neck for soloing and the bridge for rhythm.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
i use te bridge, as it is more trebley and has more harmonics and output, and mostly i use it for rithym too.

i use the neck in some solo's too, but when they need that tone the bridge pickup doesnt give, as it sounds more harsh than the neck, and it has better cleans., so i use if for that too.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
I never use the neck pickup.
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
Kirks tone is rather trebely, I think he uses his bridge pickup, I prefer to use my neck pickup, as it has a more middy tone that I like.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
its really a personal prefference, and song stuff, cuz sometimes you need a trebley and cutting tone and some others a more soft tone, and thats why you change the pickup, to chose between two tones
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by ldnovelo
i use te bridge, as it is more trebley and has more harmonics and output, and mostly i use it for rithym too.

i use the neck in some solo's too, but when they need that tone the bridge pickup doesnt give, as it sounds more harsh than the neck, and it has better cleans., so i use if for that too.

I pretty much do this.

Bridge: Mostly distorted rhythm and soloing.
Neck: Cleans, or a smooth solo tone (think Glasgow Kiss), especially when I plan on not doing any--or only very few--pinch harmonics.
I use the neck pickup for solo's, mostly for everything. I like the warm sounds, also i like the sound of not being able to hear the notes. Sounds weird but when playing fast, i like it how sometimes the notes don't come out clear but they sound heavy compared the bridge pickup, it sounds really treble.
LOL
It depends on the solo. For smooth melodic slower solos I use the neck because it's warmer. When I just want to tear up and just make the **** scream I use my bridge pickup.

On cleans I never use my bridge bucker, except maybe in combo with the middle coil.
thank you all, i really appreciate it..so its personal preference and whatever fits the song.. i was just making sure there wasn't some standard way to do it
It really depends. Sometimes I even use the neck pickup for distorted rythyms, because I love how the palm mutes sound on the neck pickup.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.