i have a roland cube 15x and a squier HSS strat. it has a 5 way pickup selector and everything is cool but when i put on distortion, i get a buzzing sound on 3 of the 5 selections on the switch. clean, however, works perfectly. i guess the problem is that squiers suck... but is there anything i can do to stop the buzzing?

also, i have 1 humbucker and 2 single coils... why does my pickup selector have 5 selections? :S

yes, im a n00b
THOSE positions are buzzing because the single coils cause that hum, and like those pups suck, t hears even bigger. the amp is alright, but use the positions (from up to down) 2, 4,5 to avoid buzz. maybe the humbucke is buzzing too. then, use 2 and 4
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
what you described as position 5 is actually position 1 first of all. its hum not buzz. its caused by things like lights, computers, radios, etc. and is pretty much unavoidable when playing with distortion.
now, first off-
position 1-neck pickup only
position 2-neck and middle pickups together
position 3-middle pickup only
position 4-middle and treble pickups together
position 5-treble pickup only (the humbucker)

the reason why 1 and 3 are humming is beacuse theyre single coils, single coils cant cancel out the hum, so you end up hearing it. why the humbucker isnt humming is, well, it BUCKS the HUM, hence the name. it does this by essentially having two single coils, one north and one south (these are all electro-magnets by the way). so, when you have the switch in 2 and 4 you have a south-orientated single coil mixed in with a north-orientated one, resulting in hum-cancellation.

your switch has 5 positions because they all sound different, experiment.

congratulations, youre a level two noob now
Quote by sobeisbull
what you described as position 5 is actually position 1 first of all. its hum not buzz. its caused by things like lights, computers, radios, etc. and is pretty much unavoidable when playing with distortion.
now, first off-
position 1-neck pickup only
position 2-neck and middle pickups together
position 3-middle pickup only
position 4-middle and treble pickups together
position 5-treble pickup only (the humbucker)

the reason why 1 and 3 are humming is beacuse theyre single coils, single coils cant cancel out the hum, so you end up hearing it. why the humbucker isnt humming is, well, it BUCKS the HUM, hence the name. it does this by essentially having two single coils, one north and one south (these are all electro-magnets by the way). so, when you have the switch in 2 and 4 you have a south-orientated single coil mixed in with a north-orientated one, resulting in hum-cancellation.

your switch has 5 positions because they all sound different, experiment.

congratulations, youre a level two noob now

thats what i wanted to say, but i am too lazy.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
with a starter guitar, you can do a few things to cut out some of the buzzing.

you can shield it.
you can use a better guitar cable.
turn off ur computer, fan or dimmer lights near the rig.
and eventually put in better pickups and upgrade the amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Recommended threads
Picks
Nyne
Last post:
by Nyne