Ok, so this has really been bugging me lately, and I really want to find out how to do this. So my friend, who's a drummer, is just a really good musicians, he plays piano, can wright lyrics, guitar, bass, and is the best drummer in the school. That's great and all, but I don't get it, he came over today, and he plays guitar like it's nothing, playing riffs for potential songs. He does this with ease, and he doesn't even own a guitar, or like call himself a guitar player, this one song he wrote is a really good song, and my favorite part is the guitar. How does he do all this stuff? I can't really explain it, but he has like a good ear, can sight read, can play songs just by hearing them, and wrights really good stuff.

HOW CAN I BE LIKE THIS?

I'm not saying I wanna be him, but mainly, I just want to be able to wright really good songs/riffs, that involve more than a few chords, and be able to think out stuff that isn't just bluesy or punkish. Where do I start? Is it all musicianship? Is he great because he grew up in a musical family, playing instruments at a young age or what? Here is a sample, the song I like the most is "different kind of a..."

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=80544681

I will be sure to ask more questions once I found out how to become a better writer.
experience can help a lot. he probably has pretty good pitch in his head, and knows how to take an idea and make into something musical. anyways, just work it out, learn songs, figure out what people do
Some people pick things up more naturally and others have to work at them. You (and me) apparently fall into the "work at them" category. Learn as much theory as you feel necessary and then start emulating the kind of things you hear, develop a style and then write like a mad(wo)man.
The first thing you need to do is learn about music. You have to know how to write it (standard notation) read it, and know how it works. So in other words, study music. Don't stop learning from it. This is where new ideas come from. The more you are exposed to, the more your mind has to use, so listen to as much music as possible, and don't be afraid to go out of your comfort zone.

It's a good idea to go out and buy a new instrument. It could be anything; glockenspiel, thumb piano, cheapo synth from a pawn-shop, whatever you can find. There is only so much you can do with your guitar, and it's very limiting. You should think about getting a piano and/or an organ. Remember, you don't want to be a guitar player. I'm a pianist second, bassist third, guitarist fourth, drummer fifth, but a musician first.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
Remember, you don't want to be a guitar player. I'm a pianist second, bassist third, guitarist fourth, drummer fifth, but a musician first.

Thats got to be one of the most cheesy things ive ever read.

But yeah, hes most likely been taught from an early age and music is second nature to him.
Quote by JoshCrawford
Thats got to be one of the most cheesy things ive ever read.

But yeah, hes most likely been taught from an early age and music is second nature to him.

Really? I guess you've never watched CSI: Miami.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Johnny83191
alright, thanks a lot for the help guys. I have been wanting a keyboard, and I can afford one, but I don't know which to get for under 150

You don't need a keyboard, music theory is universal...you can even learn music without playing an instrument. Your friend has been taught music theory which applies to any music, as far as instruments go the guitar is about as accessible as you can get therefore it's pretty easy for an accomplished musician to apply their knowledge to it. Start yourself on the theory road and things will open up for you immensely.

It's a sad fact that a lot of guitarists aren't particularly good musicians, or even musicians at all. They learn from tabs and videos and concentrate solely on the mechanics of playing, they don't know any theory and thay don't learn to use their ears.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com