Do you think that addictions are always just a physical need for a certain chemical/substance, or do you think it is a mental need, that the addiction has just become a bad habit? As we all know, a bad habit is hard to break. So, whats to say that for some addictions, it is a mental need, not a physical need? You can argue that certain chemicals create a physical dependency, and who knows, maybe they do. I know people however that can smoke several cigarettes a day, but can go days without one. I know people that can drink every day, but if neccessary can quit for a week, no problem. People claim weed is addicting, so why do I have friends who go weeks with it every day, then weeks without. without the slightest hint of withdraws?So my question is, are addictions a physical need, a chemical needed to function properly, or are they only mental, and we humans are such creatures of habit that we cannot change?
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
Honestly its both mental and physical. It also depends on the substance. Weed isnt physically addictive where as something like coke is.

Edit : And physical addiction isnt as much of a theory as it is a fact. Withdrawls have been medically proven.
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
Last edited by deadmansdiary at Oct 11, 2007,
I know the hard drugs can be physical, but I was mainly asking about cigs, weed, and alcohol.
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
both metal and physical...my parents used to smoke and the first week after they stopped they were tired all the time and with a really bad mod
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Different substances affect people based on the substance

Pot, for example, is a mental addiction, while something like heroin or meth is a physical addiction; you get sick without it.

EDIT: I didn't actually read you post for lack of paragraphs, but after reading it, here is the answer:

Booze - not physical (hangovers are basically alcohol withdrawal)
Smokes - physical (which is why it's hard to quit)
Weed - not physical
Last edited by imicius at Oct 11, 2007,
Quote by vicd08
I know the hard drugs can be physical, but I was mainly asking about cigs, weed, and alcohol.

I know that both cigarrettes and alcohol can be physicaly addicting in some cases but not all. Weed i dont think is a physical addiction but its more of a mental addiction. I smoke weed practically every day but i CAN still go a day without experiencing shakes or getting stressed out ect.
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
its both for anything, definatly. even things that arent addicting, breathing if you think about it; i mean, we need it physically, and we know that so we think about it if we get cut off from it, which is meantal...........................ya?
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
heroin is addicting. so is crack. ciggerettes are addicting
those are all physical
weed is not addicting, but there is an extremely slim chance (if you smoke too much) that there could be a mental addiction, which can be broken if you stop for a few days
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
i find going cold turkey from cigs to be the easiest thing in the world. But of course im not a hard core smoker.