Anybody know some advantages and disadvantages to a 12 string and possibly some good 12 strings with a reasonable price.
The 12 string tone is just thick, thick, thick. You lose a lot of low end rumble (or at least it doesn't stand out), but it sounds like you're playing 3 instruments. They are, however, very difficult to play (you have to barre 3 strings).

Galveston on eBay makes a nice sub $400 12-string. Dean makes a cheap one, too. I think Hamer, the originator, has some less expensive models.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
if your an expert at 4 strings, then a 12 would be a nice addition, but the amount of string does not equate to skills, and skills is what counts.
I have played a 12 string, it takes alot of getting used to if you have never played any previous double stringed instruments (such as 8 and 10 string basses) ... but one of the guys who worked there played a few completely amazing lines on it.

If you can master the 12string, you win.
i would play them like all individual strings

what about a 6 string doubled up? in stead of 4 string tripled

are tehy better or more versitile or more what yer looking for type thing

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Narcotics
i would play them like all individual strings

what about a 6 string doubled up? in stead of 4 string tripled

are tehy better or more versitile or more what yer looking for type thing

OK, you try and play a doubled or tripled up bass, playing them like individual strings, and come back and tell us how it went...

THE SPACING BETWEEN THE OCTAVE STRINGS IS FAR TOO SMALL.

Anyways, I HAVE played a 12 string bass, a 4 string with two courses of extra strings (EeeAaaDddGgg) and absolutely loved it. It really wasn't that hard to get used to it. The shop owner basically handed me it and that was that. I loved the eastern kind of feel to the tone, and rocked out a bit of Pearl Jam I'd love one for solo purposes, but I don't have the cash right now.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Is it possible to fingerpick on them?

Yeah, in fact, it's better to do that than use a plectrum, because with a plectrum you hit the thinnest string in the course first, and you may dig in too much and snap it. The thicker string is above the 2 thinner strings, so if you play fingerstyle, you sweep through the thickest string and brush the octave strings.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
OK, you try and play a doubled or tripled up bass, playing them like individual strings, and come back and tell us how it went...

THE SPACING BETWEEN THE OCTAVE STRINGS IS FAR TOO SMALL.

Anyways, I HAVE played a 12 string bass, a 4 string with two courses of extra strings (EeeAaaDddGgg) and absolutely loved it. It really wasn't that hard to get used to it. The shop owner basically handed me it and that was that. I loved the eastern kind of feel to the tone, and rocked out a bit of Pearl Jam I'd love one for solo purposes, but I don't have the cash right now.

i thaught that would come up lol... .would it be possible to play the big string individually then the two smaller one as one or still not gonna work?

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Narcotics
i thaught that would come up lol... .would it be possible to play the big string individually then the two smaller one as one or still not gonna work?

It won't work. Not well anyway. If you look at a 12 string bass, you'll see that the string spacing is far too small to allow the luxury of playing one string. The 2 octave strings are close enough to be automatically played in the natural sweep of the picking fingers.

And why would you want to play one string? The whole point of the 12 is to get the concerted notes.