alright so i have an albums worth of songs written so i decided to buy some recording equipment. i ended up purchasing a fostex mr-8 mkII digital recorder along with the mxl 990/991 condensor mic package. the very first recording i made with it, i had the guitar, mic, and bass set at the standard volume level and the drums a bit lower since they were really loud. the mix sounded great on the headphones i use with my recorder, but when i transferred it to my computer i quickly found out it was only half as loud as all of the other songs in my library (downloaded, from cds, etc.) i figured i probably just messed something up since it was my first time using it, so i went back and recorded another song. this time i set all the levels as far up as they could go (except drums) and then transferred it onto my computer and my ipod. however, much to my dismay its still not nearly as loud as it should be. i have no idea whats going on. the volume knobs on the guitar and bass were definately all the way up so thats not the problem as far as that goes. the drums could go a lot louder but everything else seems to max out before it gets to the correct level. does anybody know whats going on???
Commercial CDs undergo a process called mastering, which adjusts levels, and brings recordings up to the volume levels you're trying to achieve. You should send your recordings to someone for mastering.
Agile AL-3100 (highly recommended)
SX SST57 strat copy
OE30 Hollowbody
SX fretless bass
Epiphone PR-200 acoustic
Yamaha G-40 classical
Epiphone Valve Junior head
1x12 custom cab
4x12 Behringer Half-stack

My Solo Stuff

My Band

I remember when I used to just put out songs without mastering them one bit.

Try using Audacity's plugins...theres a dyson Compressor which works great to boost the levels a little more without clipping.

google some mastering101 sites to get a better idea of what is done
there are a few mastering options on my recorder but they are only bright, powerful, and natural. are there computer programs you can buy to master the songs and actually make them louder??
well, if you're looking to buy plugins, I recommend Ozone 3, which is a great tool for mastering if you know what you're doing. You can either greatly enhance, or ruin good recordings this way.

However, just using some hard limiting could do for the things you're trying to achieve. Consider your budget, and decide accordingly.
Agile AL-3100 (highly recommended)
SX SST57 strat copy
OE30 Hollowbody
SX fretless bass
Epiphone PR-200 acoustic
Yamaha G-40 classical
Epiphone Valve Junior head
1x12 custom cab
4x12 Behringer Half-stack

My Solo Stuff

My Band