I don't get this at all.

When i was a noob (and i still am, just not an ubernoob), i kept the gain LOW because i thought that if i made a mistake, it would be amplified and it would sound worse (i never actually got an electric until i was playing for 4 months, and even then it was a pretty low gain amp).

So i wanna know, how does distortion hide mistakes? The time that i have played, i have found gain AMPLIFIED (not hid) mistakes and made it sound like a mess of disgusting noise.

Even now, it is a momentous occation when i actaully go about playing my electric actaully plugged in.

What are your opinions about this?
you've gotta be able to play it right. try to hide mistakes with distortion, you end up sounding like mud.
Quote by zwart_gitaar

Dismemberment gives me an erection!
It's just for the n00bs really. n00bs can't hear their mistakes that well, and distortion makes it worse for them, with time you hear your mistakes more clearly.
you can play something bad and make it sound a lot better with distortion and effects than with a clean sound or an acoustic guitar
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
i disagree, an acoustic guitar tends to make things sound better to me (unless you are -really- good at effects, thats when you get into gods work.)
and distortion only hides mistakes if you arent an attentive listener. if you are actually listening it makes mistakes 1000x worse.
I agree with you guys but i don't see how people think distortion hides mistakes.
I personally hate playing with high gain because it creates a lot of unwanted noise.
And i guess i don't have the ability to play something bad and make it sound better with distortion because when i play something badly, it sound bad no matter what.
I think you all guys are forgeting compressors and noise gates.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
sweep an arpeggio of about eh... 9 notes....get only 6 or 7 right and nobody will really notice the mistakes unless they really know their stuff
on high gain and level on an overdrive channel of course.
wanna see someone hiding there mistakes through distortion???

look in my profile at the extremist....
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
Quote by blues-guitarist
you can play something bad and make it sound a lot better with distortion and effects than with a clean sound or an acoustic guitar

Lies! I play acoustic and electric. If you cant use use distortion right you sound like crap even if your trying to hide mistakes.
If I play with lots of distortion it kinda forces me to play accurately. If you make a little mistake while on clean you may able to get away with it but not on distortion...distortion amplifies the mistake and makes whatever you're playing automatically sound like crap.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Yah i always seem to get more unwanted noise when i play a piece i'm not too good at with heavy distortion than with little or no distortion. Also, the lighter distortion makes me find out my mistakes easier.
These days I just use a nice driven clean setting at most.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
depends i usually learn everything really slow and at night i practice without an amp or anything, so if i make a mistake i keep poking at it till i get that part right.and i focus on the fretboard while playing...i mean focus really hard...even if you kicked me in the nuts i wudnt feel it... lol

and sometimes if you have like a marshall with the crappy SS distortion then yes...like those people in the guitar stores who keep playing with those and think that theyre god, but they cant play even if their lives depepnded on it,

but on my digitech rp80 i set the distortion at about 7 out of 9 and no compressor or noise gate, and nothing else, cept a little bit of reverb for specific songs(sweet child o mine and stuff)
Most of what im going to say has already been said. To me distortion amplifies the mistakes if your listening to it carefully.

Im goin to bed...
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
[Samuel L. Jackson joke] I'm sick of all there Mother ****in' Noobs with all this Mother ****in' Distortion! [/Samuel L. Jackson joke]
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Don't make mistakes and you won't have to hide them.
Quote by Dance_of_Death
I agree with you guys but i don't see how people think distortion hides mistakes.
I personally hate playing with high gain because it creates a lot of unwanted noise.
And i guess i don't have the ability to play something bad and make it sound better with distortion because when i play something badly, it sound bad no matter what.

I think that people always want to find negatives to using effects. I've heard that wah pedals also hide your mistakes, though I can hear my mistakes clearly.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
you might have put too much gain for you to handle. Too much gain is not a good thing

Edit: Imo of course.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!