ok. so i really want to learn how to play can't stop by the red hot chili peppers. it seemed easy enough until i listened to the songs more and more and watched the video. John Frusciante is strumming and not picking the notes, so he must be muting the rest, but i can't figure out how. its bothering me because it is one of my favorite songs and i really want to play it. please if you know how to play it please post and tell me how!
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Hi

Unless you're watching a live video, just stop. Remember that in most studio music videos what they seem to be playing or how they might be playing it is completely inaccurate to how they'd play the song for real. that's all

p.s. if you still can't figure it out, get guitar pro and one of the good GP tabs and learn from there, not a music video
Absinthe maketh the heart grow fonder
yeah i'm watching a live version of course lol
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
I can't get the first half with strumming.. but I can get the second half of the verse/intro.. it's confusing.. but the way I play it sounds good know.. so.. yeah. It sounds the same, just with less attack.

Check out the guitar pro version of it if you have guitar pro, it's the best one there is out there.
Quote by Xiang
Hi

Unless you're watching a live video, just stop. Remember that in most studio music videos what they seem to be playing or how they might be playing it is completely inaccurate to how they'd play the song for real. that's all

p.s. if you still can't figure it out, get guitar pro and one of the good GP tabs and learn from there, not a music video

yea but ive seen live videos and he definitely strums it.

it took me forever man, and i think its still a bit hard for me to stop the low E string from ringing out on each strum pattern. anyhow this is what u shud do:

-use ur index finger on the first muting patter, using ur middle and ring finger to hit the other 2 frets

- for the second chord or w/e, use ur whole hand to mute every string except the D string which is played open, and then do the middle and ring finger for the 2 frets again

- then use ur thumb to play the low E string and the index and middle for those 2 same frets mentioned in each step. then just move ur thumb up one fret to do the next part.

it all has to do with practice my friend, the most of it does. im telling u MY way but it may not work for u, just give it a go and see if it does. if so, great. but if not it just means u gotta find a way that works for u.

im at least hoping my method will give u other ideas of how to mute them, its about playing around with it urself. i play lots of peppers songs (as to how well wud be for someone else to judge) and it took me a while to coordinate muting strings with the funk rhythms they play.

much respect dear peppers fan, good luck with that
is it really that hard for you?
I didn't even think about it when I learned it. I'm not bragging i'm just sayin.

But if its really troubling you all you gotta do is when you strum the first note, which is an open low E, cover the rest of your strings so your muting them with you're fretting hand. And then the open D I usually use my thumb to mute the E and A..I'm not sure if thats a good thing or not though. and Then I do the Same thing with the B and C root notes as I do with the open E root note.

I apologize if this made no sense.
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.