Ive been playing for like 4 years now,

And have tried playing eruption for the last year or so..and slowly improved when i try playing it etc..

but how many years does it take to be able to play it all well....because i think its extremely difficuilt !

just feels to me like its going to take forever to learn the techniques well.

anyone else have a song they struggle with and just cant seem to nail ?
well i learnt eruption once, and i only learnt the tapping. Cuz that was the only satisfying part for me, and that took about .5 hours to master. If that narrows it down lol

EDIT: note the decimal before the number five
meh, i learnt the tapping section a year ago and can still play it, its the easiest part and it sounds sweet. But its all the other stuff that baffles me, like the open string legato and shred style stuff
Some songs are like that, but Eruption wasn't for me. I learned the tapping parts in a couple of hours when I had been playing for about a year. Tapping has always been really easy for me, but I can't sweep to save my life.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
Some songs are like that, but Eruption wasn't for me. I learned the tapping parts in a couple of hours when I had been playing for about a year. Tapping has always been really easy for me, but I can't sweep to save my life.

yo, same here.
I learned to play entire song pretty well over about... 5 hours total? The 5 hours were broken up of course. I didn't sit there for 5 hours straight... I didn't want to learn it THAT much lol.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I learned how to play the basics of eruption but not 100% of it at about 2.5 years. I have it near perfect and am at about 3.75 years playing. It just takes time and a lot of focus to play something written by someone else accurately.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by GuitaPlaya
Eruption isn't that hard, I've been playing for about three and a half years, it took me about two weeks. I'm working on Jordan by Buckethead right now, that's a bitch. How long do you practice per day?

It depends, like 2 hours maybe. but i dont practice shredding style patterns that much. and i prefer playing at night, for some reason i play far better and want to play more...but cant play that loud obviously.

what about you ?
Quote by GuitaPlaya
It depends, I used to try to shred a lot, but now I focus on writing. I usually play about three to four hours, it's harder with school and all.

yer i know what ya mean about the school thing. i should practice more than do because at the mo im doing nothing everyday..now i finished colllege.
I was able to play Eruption within two years of playing. I think the easiest part is the tapping, it's also the coolest, but the hardest part is probably the lick he does before he goes into the part on the high E string.
its not that hard
i learned it about after a year and a half of playing
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
Quote by MESAexplorer
I learned how to play the basics of eruption but not 100% of it at about 2.5 years.

Same. I used GuitarWorld's tab. It wasn't that bad. I learned it in like...an hour? I only learned it because I was playing for a class. If I messed up, I bull****ted the part that I messed up. No one knew.
I love how everyone says, oh yeah its easy I learned it after I had been playing 17 seconds (and I'm not necessarily talking about this thread, it has come up a lot before, just do a search). I bet all those people who said they could play it after a year thought it sounded great but it actually sounded dodgy. If you really want to learn, just keep at it and work at each section seperately, and slowly. Don't be disheartened by all the people telling you it is easy, it will only become easy if you are prepared to put the effort in
Last edited by guitarnoize at Oct 12, 2007,
Quote by guitarnoize
I love how everyone says, oh yeah its easy I learned it after I had been playing 17 seconds (and I'm not necessarily talking about this thread, it has come up a lot before, just do a search). I bet all those people who said they could play it after a year thought it sounded great but it actually sounded dodgy. If you really want to learn, just keep at it and work at each section seperately, and slowly. Don't be disheartened by all the people telling you it is easy, it will only become easy if you are prepared to put the effort in

+1

With most things on guitar it is easy when you can play it, hard when you can't.

I appreciate that some things are easier to learn. But that varies from person to person too. AS above, what one persons considers as being able to play another doesn't. I can sit there reading tab and play to hundreds of songs. Until I can play them in my sleep without the tab perfectly I don't consider having learned them though if that makes sense. I find learning new songs by artists whose other stuff I can already play easy, in my genre I almost know what notes in what scales they will go to before they do. Today I have been trying to play sultans of swing, got nowhere because whilst I love the music, the style is new to me. Someone who has played Dire Straits all their life would say it was easy though. It is all relative is what I am trying to say.

Stick with Eruption, you will get there. When some of these songs have great quantities of lead guitar in them it is important to commit it to memory in stages to learn it fully.

Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
Quote by guitarnoize

+2!.. Its funny man you see people saying "been playing for a year and it took me 1 hour to learn!" and just KNOW that it's gonna be a full on mess!! I mean really when you say you can play sumthing and its easy its not about just being able to bash your way through it, its ment to mean you can play it to a proffesional level!! It can be really disheartening for players who work hard and read comment's like that, when really its not even true!

Ive been playing for 3.5 years and though It would be a cool piece to perform to people at gig's I know it would take a fair few months to have it to a REAL PRO level!
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Last edited by synth002 at Oct 12, 2007,
Quote by guitarnoize

+3 i think that as well, how can someone play it extremely well after 1 years playing ? that baffles me

I think maybe im a perfectionist and i like playing it as close to the original as possible, after all it is a cover..although you can make it your own..but then i think its gets sloppy.
Quote by guitarnoize

+1

I still can't play it right.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Vittu0666
Same. I used GuitarWorld's tab. It wasn't that bad. I learned it in like...an hour? I only learned it because I was playing for a class. If I messed up, I bull****ted the part that I messed up. No one knew.

I said I learned it at around 2.5 years of playing.

It was only about 3 hours to get most of the memorable parts to the song down.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio