I attempted playing the guitar 3 years ago with a Washburn x-10 that I bought new for $99 and a cheap $59 amp. Well, as much as I like the electric guitar, this package didn't do it for me and I quickly lost interest.

Well, I wanted to give it another go so after much research I just purchased a new Fender Mexican strat and a Palomino V8 tube amp. Hopefully, this should make a big difference in tone and playability.

Any suggestions on a beginner instruction book/dvd that will get me playing decent rock tunes early on. I really don't want to learn how to play some of the lame tunes that most beginner books have you learning.
Get lessons. Believe me.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I got a book called 'Teach yourself guitar" by Nick Freeth and it taught me very well. They don't even teach you songs. They show you proper chords and techniques. As far as I'm concerned, most guitar teachers are just in it for money. I've tried 3 and I was better off doing it myself. They could play, but they just couldn't teach. Either look VERY hard for a good and cheap teacher or learn on your own.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
I can afford a teacher, but my schedule is crazy and I can't committ to a set time and day like they require. But I am disciplined and can do the teach yourself method if I have to.
Quote by smitty33
I can afford a teacher, but my schedule is crazy and I can't committ to a set time and day like they require. But I am disciplined and can do the teach yourself method if I have to.

I'd try to make time if I were you.

And yay! I'm getting a teacher soon!
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by elekguit
I got a book called 'Teach yourself guitar" by Nick Freeth and it taught me very well. They don't even teach you songs. They show you proper chords and techniques. As far as I'm concerned, most guitar teachers are just in it for money. I've tried 3 and I was better off doing it myself. They could play, but they just couldn't teach. Either look VERY hard for a good and cheap teacher or learn on your own.

Never get a teacher just because they have a flashy resume. Get a teacher who's an actual teacher. Some music ed. college student would be a better teacher than some guy who's played in a touring band, IMO, because they'll be familiar with the theory of teaching.
Hi, I'm Peter
use the lessons here. teachers are good but i learned much faster without one. Get someone to teach you the basics and go from there on your own. these forums are very helpful and informative ant ther are plenty of how to videos on youtube to teach you almost any technique you want. IMO, teachers aren't really worth it after about the first 3-4 months of lessons.
Jackson Customization. Check It Out!!

*New* Jackson DX10D (Under Construction)
Gibson SG Faded Special (faded cherry)
ibanez acoustic

$$NEW$$ Epiphone So Cal 50 Stack In Mail $$NEW$$
line 6 SPIDER 2 112 combo
Metal Muff
Weeping Demon
my ex has that same set up! its amazing. i love it. perfectly american voiced. mmmm all the john mayer i can play on it
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by Dirk Gently
Never get a teacher just because they have a flashy resume. Get a teacher who's an actual teacher. Some music ed. college student would be a better teacher than some guy who's played in a touring band, IMO, because they'll be familiar with the theory of teaching.

My teacher is an old recording and touring guitarist with no "proper" music ed.

Though he's been a teacher for ten years so he's pretty used to it...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
start playing with other guitarists as soon as you can. doesn't have to be a full band, just jamming with people better than you to pick up tips.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by elekguit
As far as I'm concerned, most guitar teachers are just in it for money. I've tried 3 and I was better off doing it myself.

You musn't have had a good guitar teacher then.

I've been taught by the same guy for 2 years and my guitar ability has been greatly improved because of him.

It's worth finding a teacher you get along with and are comfortable though. My first teacher was in his late fourties and was teaching me the chords to songs you'd sing by the campfire. My guitar teacher I have now pushes me to learn stuff by artists such as Vai, Satriani and Paul Gilbert alongside the theory I need to pass the exams.

It's worth getting a teacher.
Quote by elekguit

Most teachers are in it for the money?
my guitar teacher gets £12 a week, thats reasonable i think.
He let me borrow his Strat and Tele for the first month I was playing before I got my acoustic.
He gets me discounts at a store, He personally installed a new pickup for me.
He helps me and my band.
And not to mention he is probably the best teacher and nicest person I have met.

But he's in it for the money ?
get a teacher from an actual music school or something. university students are obviously just trying to make money.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Thanks for the replies! I will most likely look for a teacher in the near future, but will use books or dvds to learn the basics for a few months.
Quote by joeymaxx
Most teachers are in it for the money?
my guitar teacher gets £12 a week, thats reasonable i think.
He let me borrow his Strat and Tele for the first month I was playing before I got my acoustic.
He gets me discounts at a store, He personally installed a new pickup for me.
He helps me and my band.
And not to mention he is probably the best teacher and nicest person I have met.

But he's in it for the money ?

I did say most, not all did I? I believe you just pretty much repeated what I said. I can make it real simple, look hard if you want one. I can also put it in a longer form. I know people that pay 30$ a week for a guitar teacher, but they get 1 hour of practice and thats it. Thats the reason why you can't depend on a teacher fully. I just figured I'd save the expense and I've done quite fine by myself. All you need is passion, not a teacher. Most teachers don't give you that passion to play. I think the guy has the right idea by doing both, but I don't see much use for a teacher. If you look hard enough, you can find out everything he teaches you on the internet and it wont cost you a dime. I however just paid 30$ for a book and thats all I needed. After that, I just played with a few friends and it became natural.

The best suggestion to give you smitty, is to do what feels right... and get a part-time. Lessons aren't cheap for what you get. Although I wish you the best of luck in finding a teacher who can help you.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Get a teacher if you can. A good teacher will spot your weaknesses and help you overcome them. A good teacher will provide material for you to practice that is at the correct level for you. With a teacher you get feedback on your playing and guidence as to how you can improve. Learning from a book at the beginning is a good way to develop bad habbits that could slow you down later. Go with learning from books and the internet after you have the basics down.
Congrats on the new gear. Enjoy yourself, you got some good stuff.
^yep. better than most people here on UG.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard