hey,

i was wondering if it'd be a bad idea to put a floyd rose on a gibson explorer. i really want a good guitar that can play some of the heavier stuff that uses the floyd rose, like van halen, judas priest etc..

i no theres jackson and ibanez's out there that are cheaper, but i dont like thouse that much and im really picky haha sorry. thanks for the help :]
I'd get a new amp first though dude, that Marshall isnt too nice, but yeah I also second the Kahler option.
I think an Explorer with a FLoyd is a great idea but if I recall, the Gibson Explorers are thinner than some and may require some special extras. Maybe a slightly shortened trem block or something. ESP has an EX with a Floyd now. Only thing I ever liked about Neal Schon is that he put Floyds on Les Pauls. ( Let the flaming begin )
MetallyGuitarded.com
- Music Man Silhouette w/stock Floyd - Evo(B) ToneZone(N)
- Boss SD-1 & CS-3, EHX Hazarai & Clone Theory
- VHT PittBull 45 - 2x12
The Floyd might not require special mounting depending on how high it sits off the top of the guitar. The block might just need trimmed down. It's brass and any respectable Luthier will have a band saw or something they can trim a 1/4+ inch off with. Shouldn't be a big deal but make sure you ask about it. If i'm totally full of crap, feel free to correct me. I had a buddy with an 84 re0issue and he looked into a floyd, thats how I know.
MetallyGuitarded.com
- Music Man Silhouette w/stock Floyd - Evo(B) ToneZone(N)
- Boss SD-1 & CS-3, EHX Hazarai & Clone Theory
- VHT PittBull 45 - 2x12
Quote by MetaL_TerrorisT
I think an Explorer with a FLoyd is a great idea but if I recall, the Gibson Explorers are thinner than some and may require some special extras. Maybe a slightly shortened trem block or something. ESP has an EX with a Floyd now. Only thing I ever liked about Neal Schon is that he put Floyds on Les Pauls. ( Let the flaming begin )

If I can put a floyd on an LP Standard, SG & LP.Jr. I'm sure it'll fit and mount correctly onto a Explorer.

Oooh, also, I love Neil Schon, possibly one of THE best guitarists in my opinion.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
If I can put a floyd on an LP Standard, SG & LP.Jr. I'm sure it'll fit and mount correctly onto a Explorer.

Oooh, also, I love Neil Schon, possibly one of THE best guitarists in my opinion.

Also, Epiphone offered an Explorer with a FR and they occasionally show up on local shops for ~$300 - 500 with a HSC. Mine is in Iceland right now with a friend.

+1 Neil Schon formerly with Journey, formerly with Santana.

Yeah, the Goth Series they were.
They had THE most ****ing hideous finish on them, flat/matt black.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Yep. HIDEOUS! Speaking of the Epi Exp Gothic, there used to be a guitar at my local shop that ONCE was an epi goth, but the previous owner had it..
•Sanded down to bare wood, did some work, and added a SECKSAY flame maple top, plus refin'd the back like a 50s LP. Added old white binding (now a mix between "cream" and white").
Back of said 50s LP

•Replaced Black floyd with 70s Orig Floyd in Chrome
•Had the FRETBOARD replaced with a trapezoid inlayed Pao Ferro fretboard.
•Somehow got a GIBSON headstock overlay, and replaced the ugly Epi one.
•Replaced tuners with custom machined 6-a-side Klusons. Did a very good job of doweling the old holes.
DIO FOREVER
Sorry 'bout that, it's just that I cannot stand Matte Black finishes. I'm perfectly fine with gloss black, though. But this project is yours, not mine...
DIO FOREVER
i took my explorer to a very reputable luthier and wanted to add a floyd (OFR) he said that the necks are not wide enough, and that the strings will end up right at the edge on both e's. i declined