I know this is in the wrong forum, but there is only around 16 people viewing theory...
Anyways, I'm trying to start focusing more on the technical parts of playing, and I realized that 95+% of the time I have my pinky on the guitar as an anchor...is that bad?
I know it helps me ALOT with my alternate picking and crosspicking, so any input is helpful.

Also, should I go back to the songs I already know and put alternate picking where it should be, or just keep down stroking the strings like I originally learned it?

thanks
Gear
Epiphone Quilt Top Les Paul w/ EMG 81-85
Crate XT120R
Boss TU-3
EHX Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge, DF-7

Myspace
Are you talking about your right hand pinky? Some use the right pinky to 'anchor'.
Picking is 100% personal preference. Do whatever is easiest/fastest/cleanest.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Are you talking about your right hand pinky? Some use the right pinky to 'anchor'.
Picking is 100% personal preference. Do whatever is easiest/fastest/cleanest.

yeah i use my right hand pinky to anchor my hand. i just assumed that alternate picking was the "correct" way to do most things, but i think i may actually be better at just downstroking fast because i have been doing it so long. of course i alternatate when i'm doing tremolo, but that's different....anyone else?
Gear
Epiphone Quilt Top Les Paul w/ EMG 81-85
Crate XT120R
Boss TU-3
EHX Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge, DF-7

Myspace
There have been many previous topics about this subject. Anchoring will create tension and, in the long run, slow you down. You will have a lot more control with a floating picking hand. [Do a search.]

As for picking, I'm in the vein of John Petrucci and Steve Morse in that I strictly alternate pick everything. If you play everything with a downstroke, you could at least be twice as fast [using alternate picking].

Edited.
I anchor with my pinky, sometimes with my ring finger aswell
hell sometimes i anchor with my last 3 fingers, it ups my speed picking, And i'm not sure if i can play fast at all without anchoring.
I've never tryed
It's all about personal preferance, whatever feels right to you.
Cancer.