hey, i started a project guitar and i bought a EMG 85 from my friend for 25 bucks from a brand new guitar that he just bought. problem is he didn't give me the wires or anything. so i bought all the stuff for it separately. i bought the EMG wire from ebay but went to radioshack for the battery wires input and volume pot. i followed the diagram and everything and it looks fine but noticed that i got a 25k Rheostat instead of a Audio taper. my question is, does it matter if its a rheostat or an audio taper? can i still play through that pick up?
www.myspace.com/wearedraind
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
ESP LTD EX-400BD (two of them)
Peavey 5150
Mesa 4x12 Straightback Slant cab loaded with v30's
Quote by Draind
hey, i started a project guitar and i bought a EMG 85 from my friend for 25 bucks from a brand new guitar that he just bought. problem is he didn't give me the wires or anything. so i bought all the stuff for it separately. i bought the EMG wire from ebay but went to radioshack for the battery wires input and volume pot. i followed the diagram and everything and it looks fine but noticed that i got a 25k Rheostat instead of a Audio taper. my question is, does it matter if its a rheostat or an audio taper? can i still play through that pick up?

There's a good chance that the rheostat will be linear instead of logarithmic. It will still work, but the taper of the pot won't sound right.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
what do you mean by taper? sorry im kinda new to the electronics part of a guitar. its a liner. it says B 25k. im guessing taper has something to do with turning the knob?
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
Quote by Draind
what do you mean by taper? sorry im kinda new to the electronics part of a guitar. its a liner. it says B 25k. im guessing taper has something to do with turning the knob?

Well a linear pot has a linear (basically a straight line) response to you turning the shaft - turning it up 50% of the way will result in 50% of the pots resistance (thereabouts).
A logarithmic pot has a non-linear response which results in the way the human ear perceives increased volume and is what is generally used for controlling volume.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
so if i use this pot it will still work but the only thing that will be affected if when i turn the knob correct?
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
Quote by Draind
so if i use this pot it will still work but the only thing that will be affected if when i turn the knob correct?

Exactly. I just saw the rheostat you got. 3W is just a bit of overkill for a guitar signal
hah ok so does that man i should just stop and get the right pot?
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
Well, it will still work. Are you sure it will actually fit into your cavity and the existing pot hole?
yeah its already in there. i plugged it in and all i here is buzz but when i hit the strings you can faintly hear them. whats going on?
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
Quote by Draind
yeah its already in there. i plugged it in and all i here is buzz but when i hit the strings you can faintly hear them. whats going on?

Interesting. Sure you've got it all plugged in correctly?
yeah im pretty sure. i compared it to my other guitar and everything matches up.
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
i figured it out. i had the black battery cable and the white pick up cable switched. i put them in the right place and i get signal but its weak.
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
Again, is everything grounded? If not, that's your problem for the weak signal.
Quote by BGSM
Again, is everything grounded? If not, that's your problem for the weak signal.

if when you say grounded you mean is everything soldered to the pot. yeah the cable from the pick up and one of the prongs from the pot is soldered to the casing of the pot.
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
Hmm, sounds like everything is grounded.

There is a ground prong on every part, which should be wired together from each part. It's hard to explain, but if your wiring diagram has an arrow pointing down it means that prong needs to be grounded.
Last edited by BGSM at Oct 13, 2007,
Is the battery fairly new?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
There was a guy on another thread who switched the batt power wire and the pickup output wires. He apparently screwed the pickup in some way or another. He had plugged the connector on the pickup in backwards. But I cant imagine 9 volts going thru the pickup the wrong way can be a good thing. You generally need to find the guitar control pots if you want em to work right. Radio shack stuff is used for different purposes.
yeah i went ahead and bought the right pots. it works fine now. sounds great. damn radioshack
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150