Ive seen videos of people playing cant stop by red hot chilli peppers and i dont understand how they picks with soo much motion in there hands john does it aswell.............................
you just mute all the strings that you dont want to sound
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
there arent any open strings when he plays it. change the open d to 5th fret on a
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
yes, there is an open D, mute low E an A strings with your thumb and high E,B,G with index finger leaving open D string unmutted...good luck !
OKay say i muted them and i played the d STring how would i mute it to play the 7-9 part on the G string (not the dirty kind)
The way I play is to mute all the non-sounding strings by barrings my middle finger across all the strings and also palm muting.

Its a bit sloppy to do it this way since your not really relying on accuracy and instead relying on the muting technique, but it works since you can play wildly with a lot more energy
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
With the tips of your fingers. When playing the open D part, your hand should be positioned that your thumb hangs over the top muting the Low-E and A strings. Then you have the open D string. Then your index finger should be muting G-B-E. When it comes time to play the index finger on the 7, your hand position stays the same... Only when you press down on the 7, make sure your finger tip is touching the D string. So fret it with the side of your finger or face of your finger rather than the tip.