I searched but i couldn't find it. Any tips on how to get a Muse like tone? Atm im using a Squier strat with a Laney VC15, and I have about £40 to spend on a pedal.

How would I help achieve the tone with my Laney (does he use mids etc) and what pedal should I get to make it sound more digital (line 6 or digitech?)

Thanks
Well you don't want your tone to sound digital, i think a fuzz pedal would be the way to go for starters.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
What Fuzz pedals should I look at?

If you listen to Glorious by Muse, the guitar at about 47 seconds. I want a tone like that.
He has a ZVex fuzz factory built into his guitars - as pedals they sell for ~£175. For £40 you could probably manage a Little Big Muff. For a bit more you could get a Proco Rat, or a Big Muff. Fuzz Faces are ~£70-80. Failing that you can always go Boss or Behringer. Your amp should get fairly close already though.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
A little big muff won't get a Muse Tone unless you're lucky. It's far too fat and rounded to really get Matt's fuzz tone. You really need to save up more than £40, for that kind of price you're not going to get anything near.

Your best bet, on a budget, is a strange way to do it, and is slightly left to chance. If you have any kind of distortion pedal, plug it in (the input, that is) and leave it on for a few hours. Chances are that the battery will have worn down a fair bit, and what I've found with my OS-2, is that you end up with rather a strange fuzz sound. Of course, with the battery 95% dead, it's not going to last very long, but it provides a means to an end (if only for 2 hours.).
hahaha nice method ^^

yeah I guess i'll save up abit, I was thinking of getting an Ibanez SZ720FM or Fender Jaguar 62' Reissue but I guess they will have to wait.

I'm not looking for the EXACT same tone as Matt, I don't listen to Muse every day, its just I like his tone and I want to make my tone sound similar to that, it sounds kind of unique.

in the song Exo-Politics it is a good example of what I want aswell. Would a Metal Muff be too heavy to get that tone or would it be versatile?
Quote by dannyyy
hahaha nice method ^^

yeah I guess i'll save up abit, I was thinking of getting an Ibanez SZ720FM or Fender Jaguar 62' Reissue but I guess they will have to wait.

I'm not looking for the EXACT same tone as Matt, I don't listen to Muse every day, its just I like his tone and I want to make my tone sound similar to that, it sounds kind of unique.

in the song Exo-Politics it is a good example of what I want aswell. Would a Metal Muff be too heavy to get that tone or would it be versatile?

Again, in the main riff of Exo-Politics, the sound is actually quite subtle. I'm not sure the Big Muff or LBM would be quite subtle enough, and I've never actually tried the MM, but again, it may not be as subtle as you need it to be. You have a Laney VC15, which is a good amp, so I think in the case of Exo it's more a case of getting your settings right on amp and guitar, and picking dynamics. The riff is quite 'jabby' if you know what I mean, and I think that until you have some decent money for a better pedal/guitar/whatever, your time will be better spent exploring what you can get out of your existing equipment.

It's also worth noting that the bass player (forgot his name) is using a fuzz, and the sound you're hearing may be slightly obscured by the bass which blends into Matt's sound.
thanks for that mate

I guess i'll keep the money for a new guitar, the ibanez sz720fm or the fenger jag 62' reissue. a pedal can wait for now, my amp is pretty versatile how it is.

does he use alot of highs, mids or lows?
Quote by dannyyy
thanks for that mate

I guess i'll keep the money for a new guitar, the ibanez sz720fm or the fenger jag 62' reissue. a pedal can wait for now, my amp is pretty versatile how it is.

does he use alot of highs, mids or lows?

Well on Exo, it sounds like fairly high mids (7 roughly?) and pretty high treble too. On your Squier I'd probably use the middle pickup ; not sure about the guitar's tone controls, since they'll respond differently for different amps. You'll have to figure that bit out by yourself.

And like I said, you want to keep the riff picked pretty hard and short, almost staccato like.

Off topic, the Jag 62 is a lovely guitar. Lubberly.
cheers mate. you ever played a jag? ive never actually played one but i love fender necks and the jaguar looks different and versatile.
Quote by dannyyy
cheers mate. you ever played a jag? ive never actually played one but i love fender necks and the jaguar looks different and versatile.

Yeah, and I've played a MIJ Jazzmaster too, which is also a very nice guitar, well worth a look. But the Jag is extremely comfortable, as you'd expect with Fender, and if I remember correctly, the action and feel of the fretboard was 'quicker' than on strats I've played.

Overall they're great value for money, how much are they in the UK? Like £450 or so? Not a bad price for such a distinctive guitar. You could also look at some discontinued Tokais, second hand etc.

In fact, a quick look on eBay finds this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-1983-84-Tokai-Goldstar-Sound-Stratocaster_W0QQitemZ110178352597QQihZ001QQcategoryZ112670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Come to think of it, I might have a bid on that myself O_o
looks nice yeah the jag is around the 450 mark, i think its a tad bit more.

sexual.

That colour? Thats the only colour they have on dolphinmusic.co.uk that i like anyway, so i'd go for that one

mmmmmmmm.

i'd get new pickups if i didn't like the pickups, everything else would be perfect for me i think.

then you have that ibanez, which is like ultimately sexy. i saw a band the other night using one, it looked and sounded great. its also cheaper than the jaguar.

i have a dilemma.
^^ Yeah that's the colour.

EDIT : ^ I can't exactly remember, but with the Jazzmaster you can roll down the volume of one of the pickups and potentially use it as a killswitch.

I haven't tried that Ibanez, but from my ear's perspective, the Jag would probably be more versatile. Depends what you want really, with your VC15 I'm guessing you're not a total metalhead. Try them both, clearly.

Thats the ibanez. Nah im not a metal head, I listen to some heavish stuff though. Mainly modern music, like:

Enter Shikari, The Blackout, Gallows, Arctic Monkeys.

Basically from Indie/Alt to Screamo/Post-Hardcore.

So it would have to be versatile really, my amp is pretty versatile and i am happy with it to get the tones i want, i dont even need to use a pedal (although i was considering getting a metal muff for screamo type music).
hmmm, how about that ibanez then? It would have to be versatile though, so i can play kinda heavier stuff aswell.
Put a Kent Armostrong Motherbucker in your guitar. 4 ****ing coils!!! awesome..
What tone do they give?

And you have the guitar I was looking at beckyjc, whats so bad about them?