Hi everyone,

i know, my question is referring to completely basics, but since i couldn´t find the information by google, i´m asking now here.

What does this "0", sometimes staying in chords, mean? Crosses mean hold there. No Crosses mean not hold there. And 0? Maybe this is a suggestion but not necessary?

Best regards...
means play it open, O for open or 0 for no fret. however you want to think of it, play it open.
As fretsonfire74 said: O means play the open string. X does NOT mean hold there, it means don't play that string (or mute it if need be).
404: Sig not found.
Hmm ok seems, that we mean different things.
Here is one example:
I guess, here X doesn´t mean mute...
Maybe they want you to mute the string, and that's the easiest place to do it. (ie do it with the tip of your index.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
In some other chord diagrams, you may see it as you posted (where x represents where you are fretting a string and o means muted):

This is equivalent to:

Bm Chord
e|---2---
B|---3---
G|---4---
D|---4---
A|---2---
E|---x---

OR

Bm: x24432
In general, with guitar tabs, 'X' means do not play this string, while '0' represents an open string. In tab it is also implicitly assumed that a string is not played if it is not marked. Numbers are written on the lines to show you where to fret the string with the left hand. The x here represents mute that string.
Last edited by Negative Burn at Oct 12, 2007,
^-- all correct. just for clarification, etiche, in the diagram you posted, the o must mean to mute the string because you don't play the low E in a B minor chord... though i've never seen o used to signify muting. where did you get that chord diagram? i suspect that maybe the person that did that made a mistake.