Hi can anybody tell me the intervals of the modes. or just all the intervals in genral so i can work them out myself. many thanks carl
Ionian- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dorian- 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
Phrygian- 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Lydian- 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
Mixolydian- 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
Aeolian- 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Locrian- 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7
theres always been this question in the back of my head when im studying over modes... should i memorize all of those intervals? because i've heard that just memorizing the finger patterns on the fretboard is a bad habit, so how should i go about memorizing them?
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
memorizing intervals =/= memorizing finger patterns, CC.

When you memorize the patterns, you end up depending on them and forget you are playing in a scale, you are playing in that one pattern you practised once. By learning the intervals, it allows you to be more creative, and it's not really a finger pattern as such that with the intervals you can play a mode anywhere, with any note per string combination, pretty much instantly.
yeah when i think about it that way it becomes too overwhelming for me and i just dont know where to start X(
Start with the major scale - seeing as the modes are just the major scale viewed in a different way. If you know the major scale intervals inside out you can "see" the modes a lot easier.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
well i know the major scale lol...
Quote by C.C. Deville
well i know the major scale lol...

Do you know it all over the fretboard? Do you know the intervals that it is made of?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I only really know the finger positions of all the modes, but i found i played alot better when i realised how all the modes go together. Like, if a begin playing in D Aeolian, I soon realised that the Locrian position is right next to it, the Major and Dorian and everything, so by learning the positions, you kind of can learn the scales all up the neck, but I've never tried memorizing all the intervals so I dont know which is better...

/seemingly useless post
Hello
Quote by Jaxoo
I only really know the finger positions of all the modes, but i found i played alot better when i realised how all the modes go together. Like, if a begin playing in D Aeolian, I soon realised that the Locrian position is right next to it, the Major and Dorian and everything, so by learning the positions, you kind of can learn the scales all up the neck, but I've never tried memorizing all the intervals so I dont know which is better...

/seemingly useless post

Knowing the intervals will help a lot for soloing/improvising. Knowing how scales will bring out certain flavors over different chords because of the intervals is pretty useful.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥