Page 1 of 6
I am still searching for an all tube amp combo and I came upon this...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-80-YCV80-80W-All-Tube-2x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speakers?sku=480961

I though it looked good for it's price and I would like other peoples opinions on the amp. I play a wide range of music from Coheed and Cambria to As I Lay Dying and also some classic rock stuff too. From different reviews I read most people switch the tubes right away and say the amp sounds amazing.
They used to get a lot of good hype on this website a while ago. Pre-Agile-fanboy invasion I believe. Can't say I've even seen one let alone played one however.
...Bleep Bloop...
Ive got a YCV40T and its great. its got a good amount of gain and it should work...if not an overdrive will get it there. But ya I do suggest changing the tubes, the stock ones arent bad but they arent amazing either
I have the 40, it's great, but the stock tubes are some lower grade sovteks, and the speakers in mine are pretty muddy at high gain.

It's autobiasing, so you can even put different combinations of powertubes in it.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I had the dreaded celestion 70/80 in it. Now I have a Hellatone V30. So tight sounding
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

I have the chance to get a YCV-40 for $400 used but it doesn't have the foot switch. I have a Dunlop volume + boost pedal that boosts up to 6x the signal. Would it be possible to have a perfectly clean sound (slightly before break up) and then boost it into punk OD, on either channel? Would you take it over a used Valve King 1x12 that has a footswitch and is $50 less?
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
O'm selling my drums, and the stock speaker if I get the Peavey, and buying a used Marshall 4x12 for it. Or should I do this with the Traynor? It's a tough call, but the Peavey seems better cause of extra headroom and the footswitch.

Is the training far superior in sound?
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Th dirty channel for the traynor has lots of gain for most everything but modern metal. From what I've experienced, the VK's have a delay in changing channels, that can be fixed by cutting out a certain capacitor. Peavey sent me the schematic and which one it was, but I can't find it.

Like Forsaken, My traynor is well worth the money I paid for it, even if I did pay full price.

There's a metal grille behind the cloth grille to protect most things from damaginf the speakers. It also has an autobiasing circuit, and efficient DC heaters that pretty much cut down on all humming or buzz (not including if I'm using and OD). It's so quiet, sometimes I forget it's on. Also has tube harnesses, spring clips that hold in the powertubes and prevent rattling.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Good to know. I'd really like to eventually get a foot switch for the Traynor if I buy it, and I could definitely see KT77s replacing the 5881s. I wonder if I could order one for Traynor, or like you're suggesting, build one (I've seen foot switches built using a computer mouse as the case for it).

Does it have enough headroom on tap to still be clean at stage levels/band practise?
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Quote by forsaknazrael
Easily. It gets super loud. I never turn it past 4-5 during band practice, on the clean channel.
I'm going to buy the parts for a footswitch this weekend, so I'll let you know what happens with that.

Awesome!! Then I'm getting that amp. Hopefully the footswitch works as I'd love to be able to have each channel separately EQ'd.
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Also, traynor has a 3 year warranty, even if you get smashed and smash it, they'll fix it. It's also ridiculously sturdy, with strong, heavy wood, and a very clean tolex job. My only dislike is that the onboard reverb is pretty insane, and not that noticeable until you hit 5 on the dial, and pas 7 it's way to splashy. That and the dials are very sensitive. Other than that, I'm glad I got this one.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Man, I want to get one of these, and then around x-mas buy a used Marshall 4x12 an have that for a half stack!!!! 40 loud watts with 6L6s through a Marshall 4x12 for some bad ass tones!!
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
Last edited by Scum_PunkRocker at Oct 14, 2007,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, in a nutshell, you'd buy speakers of appropriate wattage and impedance ratings, then wire them. You want to choose speakers that obviously are a step up from stock ones, and ones that you feel will accentuate the amp's good characteristics, or what tones you hope to coax from the amp.

Is it difficult to wire them?
Quote by GNRAGE_2010
Is it difficult to wire them?

Not especially. There's no soldering involved, and if you're matching the impedances correctly, it's mostly just a plug and play situation, I think.

Example, if you have a 2x12 combo with 2 16 ohm speakers, and you wire them in parallel for 8 ohms...Buy two 16 ohm speakers for replacements, and just use the existing wire to wire them up.
With the traynor, just unclip the speakers and clip them on the correct terminals. Most amps have slips and don't require soldering.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Man I would suggest that you should wait till they start selling the traynor custom special 50 more. 80 watts is execive, the 50 has a switch between 50 and 15 watts. It's very versatile, comes with 2 5881s and 12ax7 preamps, later on you can replace the tubes to make it sound more like a marshall or a fender. It's also pretty much the same price as the ycv80.

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=392
^This is coming from the guy who has it. The only problem I've found with it was that there was not enough gain for metal, which is why i'm considering either getting a pedal or replacing the tubes with JJ EL 34s.
This may be irrelevent, but i have the Traynor Custom Valve 40, and i love it, i changed the tubes to and it sounds much better. The reverb is alright i guess, but its nothing to complain about. I would defiently reccommend this amp.
Signature
What about the Traynor Custom Valve YCV50Blue is that basically the same thing as the Custom Special 50 but without the 50/15 switch?

btw I love the blue color on that amp.
I have a YCV 80 2x12 and it was amazing. Until one day I decided to change tubes. It has an autobiasing circut on it to bias its own tubes, and that blew out. The sound was crappy, and I was mad. For about a year now i have had it looked at by many different amps techs but they all say, "I Dunno." It makes me mad, because that amp could play everything. But now, I am getting a .50 caliber Mesa/Boogie so I am happy.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Wow. I don't know how you coulda screwed up the auto-bias circuit...

Did you replace it with the correct tube type, and with a proper grade of tube?

I don't know much about tubes, is it pretty easy to change them in and out?
Quote by GNRAGE_2010
I don't know much about tubes, is it pretty easy to change them in and out?

With the case of the Traynor YCV40, yes. Preamp tubes are a plug and play situation. For power amp tubes, get the correct grade for your amplifier (buy online at The Tube Depot or the Tube Store, and tell them what tubes your amp needs, and what kind of amp you have.) and then just switch 'em.
I just bought my own about 40 minutes ago. Mine is the YCV40 2x10, I've been playing it for the past 20 (on low cause my step-dad is home) but even on low, it sounds amazing!!

First Impressions:
the reverb comments about it are true, it goes from very subtle from 1-5 (I can start hearing it around 4) and it gets a bit splashy at high levels and reduces the volume when cranked. I like it subtle for what I play though.
The distortion with the gain cranked is just the right amount I need and I have a volume boost pedal so I can get more if need be. When you turn up the mids past 7 you get a really nice hot-rodded plexi sound, but a bit smoother. I'm using a Tele (stock bridge pup, Duncan Designed HB102(n) neck) and a Squier Strat (Fender Lace Sensor Red bridge, stock mid and neck pups) and it really works well with them. My pedal board is at my drummer's house, so I can't test my wah or boost or DS-1 (which I'll no longer be using) through it, but I'll find out how they sound Thursday.

So far, I'm thinking this was WELL worth my $400.
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab