I play a MIA Deluxe Strat with a JSX. Last night I took my old Epi SG400, changed the strings and tried it out again. I realized that I really miss the warm Mahogany sound and that it still sounds pretty good on high gain settings. I mean in the clean channel my Fender kicks the SG400 all over the place, but on the crunch or ultra channel it still sounds pretty good. So I'm thinking about changing the pickups and actually start using it again.

Price isn't really important. I wanna get them used and I live in Germany, so there's no chance I can actually get boutique pickups used. So basically any good mainstream pickup (Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, ...)

So what should I get?

Neck: I'd used it a lot for playing Santana. Also any kind of warm solo lines. And some nice warm high gain solos like Nothing Else Matters, Fade to Black or In Memoriam. Those are basically the 2 styles I'd use it most for. Since my Fender is infinetly better than the SG400 in the clean channel anyway, they don't really need to be good for that.

Bridge: Gain-wise I wanna start using it pretty much where my Fender stops. Starting with AC/DC riffs up to screaming high gain leads in my JSX' Ultra Channel. I don't play death metal or anything ultra heavy, but I'd like to play some thrash metal riffs with it. Main focues would be on the leads though. I'd play alot in the style of Troy Stetina, I guess. But I don't want it to be too extreme. I don't like those noise only maximum output you could possibly imagine pickups.

So it should be kinda versatile, since I wanna play AC/DC-ish stuff with it, but main focus would be to play leads on the ultra channel.

thanks in advance,
Tom
Ask CorduroyEW on the forums here. His website is rockmonkeyguitars.com
He could probably wind you a set of great pickups for not much more than a set of seymour duncans.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Depends on how much exactly. I wanted to buy the pickups used. The last pickup I saw on ebay was an Invader for 50€. I can hardly imagine he can wind them himself for less than 100€!?
Quote by Onkel Cannabia
Depends on how much exactly. I wanted to buy the pickups used. The last pickup I saw on ebay was an Invader for 50€. I can hardly imagine he can wind them himself for less than 100€!?

Invaders are probably worth 10 euros, bit of a heads up...

For the high gain, seeing as you have a reasonably high gain amp it'd make sense to go with a nice set of vintage to vintage-hot wound PAF clones. You could get corduroyew to make you some if you wanted, but used it'd be a great idea to look out for DiMarzio PAF Pros and PAF Joes, the Joe in the neck and the Pro in the bridge. It makes more sense to me to use a nice set of clear, nice toned low output pickups than use mid-heavy, fat and uncontrollably high output pickups when your amp is gonna do most of the work. Air Norton in the bridge looks to be a good choice too, would handle a bit higher gain more nicely.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I was kinda hoping for more opinions than one, or is Mr Carrot's suggestion so good that nobody wants to add anything?