I have quite small hands. With some chords, like powerchords, my fingers are arced *except* for the last bone of my fingers. If I try to arc them too, I cannot stretch wide enough to do a powerchord, at least at the first frets. This is something a teacher (not mine) remarked on my playing. So is this wrong and how should I fix this?

Crappy pictures to follow:
Each / is a finger bone (there are 3!).

My technique:

.._ Hand
./
/
Guitar

Instead of:

._ Hand
/
|
Guitar
My technique:

.._ Hand
./
/
Guitar

Instead of:

._ Hand
/
|
Guitar

hahaha that is hilarious...if you have small hands though you probably can't do anything about it even though it's wrong, you'll just have to deal with it

EDIT: in fact, in might even help you to mute your lower strings having it flat like that
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
What sort of guitar do you play?
You may want to try a guitar with a slimmer neck, Ibanez Wizzards etc.
JS1000 for example.
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
There are some problems with playing like that. You probably would have a hard time playing a B minor chord for example, or barre chords. It will probably improve if you play a lot; your hands will become stronger and more flexible.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
I have a PRS SE Custom, whose neck is between Gibson and Fender. I will try the fingering on a friend's RG later, though I didn't like its Jumbo Frets.

Haha, wow, Bm is really impossible. Took me a few minutes to finger all strings correctly and sure enough, finger 3 is again straight... :\