Page 1 of 2
Quote by dissident52
I wouldn't necessarily say that it's overkill. But i would much rather go for a 12-string.

Lol, 12 string and 8 string guitars don't even have the same mechanics.
it says "FX EDGE III-8". its an edge three. most likely and expensive guitar but a crappy trem. dont buy it. (Unless thats an ok bridge or you block it.)
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
i think it is overkill and indeed like playing a baseball batt. but if u like it buy it
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

I must admit the two song that dino does use the 8 string on the Divine heresy album are very cool, but unless you can think of a practical way to utilize the low F# more into your music then i cant see the justification behind spending that much for one. Unless your like a Meshuggah freak/fanboy then that might be acceptable. Dont just buy an extreme extended range guitar just because Dino uses it on a couple of songs, buy it if you can put it to good use in your own way.

Edit oh and btw i entirely love the ibby 8 string, its a great guitar on paper but i could never buy one as nobody else in a band could keep with the F#. Plus dont jump to conclusions about the trem, if you read it is actually blocked off like on the mick thompson models, meaning you tune it via the fine tuners.
Last edited by hmmm_de_hum at Oct 12, 2007,
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
I must admit the two song that dino does use the 8 string on the Divine heresy album are very cool, but unless you can think of a practical way to utilize the low F# more into your music then i cant see the justification behind spending that much for one. Unless your like a Meshuggah freak/fanboy then that might be acceptable. Dont just buy an extreme extended range guitar just because Dino uses it on a couple of songs, buy it if you can put it to good use in your own way.

Edit oh and btw i entirely love the ibby 8 string, its a great guitar on paper but i could never buy one as nobody else in a band could keep with the F#. Plus dont jump to conclusions about the trem, if you read it is actually blocked off like on the mick thompson models, meaning you tune it via the fine tuners.

I agree. I'm already very familiar with good use of 7-strings. I think the extra string would be interesting.
Quote by .arkness:.
it says "FX EDGE III-8". its an edge three. most likely and expensive guitar but a crappy trem. dont buy it. (Unless thats an ok bridge or you block it.)

It's a fixed bridge, not a trem.
The thing with the 8 string is that its such a new concept to the regular guitar market that its not one of those things that you can try beforehand, you have to be brave and just go for it. I know im completely contradicting my last post but if you really feel strongly for going for an 8 then do it, the resale values on those are really very good.

I probably will get one eventually for my collection but at the mo i want to keep with 7, its enough for the meantime.

Oh yeah and Dino doesnt actually use the RG2228, he uses an Ibby custom shop model naturally.
Last edited by hmmm_de_hum at Oct 12, 2007,

The Edge FX is blocked already, its not even floating.
I'd love to get a seven string, but an eight string makes me think, why not just get a bass? Or maybe one of those custom dual neck guitars. LOL
you could always have a custom guitar made with 8 strings?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Ki'
I heard some of Dino Cazares (from Fear Factory/Divine Heresy) new songs he played with an 8-string, and I'm seriously considering buying the 8-string Ibanez he uses.

Ibanez RG2228 official page

You don't even play a seven-string. If you buy that, I'm 99% sure you'll regret it. Getting the right settings/amps/gear to make a 7th string sound as good as the other 6 is incredibly hard, so I imagine another would make matters much worse. Don't do it unless you've tried it in a local shop, or be prepared to sell it some months later (its value will have dropped). I got a 7-string because any 6-string guitar I played felt too small. I knew I'd be able to handle the 7th. Do you know you'll be able to handle TWO extra strings? If you really want something that sounds like Dino, get a 7 string baritone (27"), it's much easier and, economically, you'll have more choices later on (especially regarding pickups).
I'm a communist. Really.
^ I think you're overdramatizing the issue.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
lol, 8-string is overkill? 7-string is an overkill allready!!
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
If you like it man, by all means, buy it. I wouldn't go lower than 7, personally.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I probably will get one eventually for my collection but at the mo i want to keep with 7, its enough for the meantime.

Oh yeah and Dino doesnt actually use the RG2228, he uses an Ibby custom shop model naturally.

I know he uses a custom, but according to the interview, the only difference with his one is a thinner neck because he has short fingers. I don't have this problem.

He may or may not also be using his Seymour Duncan "Blackout" signature pickups, but that might just be on his other 7-string.

Other than these two, there's no difference I know of between his custom and the regular 8-string Ibanez.

I'd love to get a seven string, but an eight string makes me think, why not just get a bass? Or maybe one of those custom dual neck guitars. LOL

I have a bass. :3 It's not quite the same.

"Do you know you'll be able to handle TWO extra strings? If you really want something that sounds like Dino, get a 7 string baritone (27"), it's much easier and, economically, you'll have more choices later on (especially regarding pickups)."

^ I think you're overdramatizing the issue.

I agree. Just because I don't own a 7-string doesn't mean I don't know anything about them.

A 7-string baritone is an interesting option, but I don't like extra long necks. I would prefer the thickness of an 8-string over the length of a 7-string baritone.

Try before I buy is a good idea. Except 8-string electric guitars are rare. It's difficult enough to find 7-strings in local guitar stores already.

Thanks for your replies.
Last edited by Ki' at Oct 12, 2007,
Quote by NotAJock2Day
What kind of amp do you have? An amp with ****e speakers (or just a bad amp) won't be able to hold those low frequencies with a good tone...

I know what you mean. I've tried out even just drop C on some large Marshalls and it turns very muddy.

If I do invest in this 8-string I will likely get a suitable rig (with subwoofer).

The RG8 has a thinner (depth) neck than a Les Paul.

That's good, since I play a Les Paul. I've also played an Ibanez 7-string that had a thinner neck than any six string. I thought it would break...
Last edited by Ki' at Oct 12, 2007,
Quote by Guitarislife125
Drop B#? I believe you mean C.

Indeed. Long day... still technically correct. ^.^'
it depends, is an 11-string bass overkill?
Quote by bassboy 999
Cheers to you triple x maniac

Quote by snipelfritz
Wait, your dick is in a chick's ass, and you're complaining.

Its a sad, sad day.
i saw the Ibanez 8 string model at Sam Ash in Lyndhurst OH. Some guy was playing it through a Randall half stack the entire 2 hours I was there. He was actually playing some ACDC with it, which was kinda interesting being transposed that low and with the Randall voicing. Either way, the neck on that thing looked very wide, especially near the body. I'm not sure if you could play much lead with it, but for low low almost bass guitar sounds, it's probably good.
Quote by triple_X_maniac
it depends, is an 11-string bass overkill?

I wouldn't mind playing basslines only elephants can hear.
O
V
E
R
K
I
L
L
EVERYTHING I KNOW ABOUT BLOWING S**T UP I LEARNT FROM GRAND THEFT AUTO

Schecter Hellraiser Tempest

The FX edge bridges aren't trems at all, do some research before flapping your gums.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
If you are confident you'd like it id say go for it. But I dunno about the bridge, why wouldnt they just use normal fixed bridge, now you have to go through all that extra **** to put in strings and not even have a whammy.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by bean-o
If you are confident you'd like it id say go for it. But I dunno about the bridge, why wouldnt they just use normal fixed bridge, now you have to go through all that extra **** to put in strings and not even have a whammy.

What extra **** to put in strings? Did I miss something?
Quote by bean-o

Double locking system, dead stable tuning. It doesn't take a whole lot longer to restring and tune it than it would a normal bridge, but I'd personally take a double locking fixie over a normal fixie.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
Double locking system, dead stable tuning. It doesn't take a whole lot longer to restring and tune it than it would a normal bridge, but I'd personally take a double locking fixie over a normal fixie.

Yeah for sure, and the restringing time that it would take is only a matter of seconds extra.

And then you can play low Fs at people with your unnecessarily aweome fatass string
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by pifty

That's a huge plus. I wouldn't really care about it taking longer to put in strings.
It just depends on how comfortable you'd be with it...if it's something you're totally comfortable with, then go for it. What you think is what's important, not what all of us think.
Quote by Grimme
I know plenty believe me. I've seen both Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine live, so don't tell me I don't know my metal.

www.myspace.com/awkwardsilencemusic
It seems stupid. For the amount you'd use the extra string, it's really not worth having a canoe paddle as a fretboard.

Plenty of bands are heavy as **** on 6 strings, 7 strings is almost too much.
Page 1 of 2