Hey every UGers, before you flame me by saying use the SCALES, i must let you all know that i know the scales but i do not know how to utilise them. When i try to solo using C and C# blues scale, the tone isn't right..In addition, i have not learn modes yet. So i am trying to do simple solos. When im free, i grabbed my guitar and findle around and somehow i managed to create a "solo" but i do not think it is a solo. It sound like melodic intros of songs.....not enough dynamite of how actual SOLO should sound.

Can anyone teach me how to utilise scales to make solo?

Thank you very much
play a 1 4 5 progression in the key of E. then play the E blues scale over it. if the 'tone' still doesn't sound right, you aren't using the right scale.
Stop worrying about scales, and just take the notes that sound good together. Ugh sometimes being too technical is annoying.
Quote by jpast
Stop worrying about scales, and just take the notes that sound good together. Ugh sometimes being too technical is annoying.

why would u try and solo with out scales?
Quote by jpast

Wrong.

The whole point of knowing theory is that it tells you what's going to sound good.

TS, you can't learn scales until you know the notes on the fretboard, also the whole point of them is that certain scales sound good over certin chords...if you jus try and play a random scale over random scales then it will most likeyl sound like ass.

Learn the notes, learn the major scale then look at the pentatonics as they're the easiest scales to solo with.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah, usually i try to play what is in my mind but i have a hard time finding the right "note" and "sound"...

On another note, is there a difference between a melody and melodic solo? What i've been trying always come out as a melody instead of a melodic solo! argh!
Quote by steven seagull
Wrong.

The whole point of knowing theory is that it tells you what's going to sound good.

TS, you can't learn scales until you know the notes on the fretboard, also the whole point of them is that certain scales sound good over certin chords...if you jus try and play a random scale over random scales then it will most likeyl sound like ass.

Learn the notes, learn the major scale then look at the pentatonics as they're the easiest scales to solo with.

I know the notes on the fretboard but have no idea what scales sound good over certain chords... would you mind giving me a lesson?
learn some solos then emulate the techniques you see in those solos, that'll give you a nice bag of tricks. also get some backing tracks to practice over. dont expect to compose a comfrotably numb 2min epic solo sitting in your room in 5 minutes! also maybe try to create little pieces and then join them together to form a longer piece.

i dont know what to say to that 'tone' thing you wrote, if you play the right scales over the right progression it should sound sweet, maybe tune your guitar again! maybe just record you strumming one chord over and over and improvise over that, that way less to worry about in trying to match your notes to the chord.

oh yeh and learn arpeggios!

Most of the people who use this techniqe are stumbling onto scales any way
look up the lessons on this site, they're really helpful. type in "solo" or "scales" or "blues" even maybe
The way I first learned to solo was to just put on some kind of pop song and play notes over it that sound good. When you put the notes together, you'll probably realize that it's some variation of the pentatonic scale.
Quote by oreodunk
I know the notes on the fretboard but have no idea what scales sound good over certain chords... would you mind giving me a lesson?

Well, every scale has associated chords - those chords actually define the scale to a certain extent. Theres loads of information on the net and on UG about that sort of thing.

Pentatonics are 5 note versions of 7-note scales, the most commonly used ones are the minor pentatonic and the major pentatonic. Generally speaking you can use those over the matching chord, so E minor pentatonic for a song in the key of E.

The minor pentatonic is the most commonly used scale in guitar soloing, if you do some research on it and look up some pentatonic licks you'll be soloing in no time...just start at the beginning by trying some simple soloing over a blues progression...listen to stuff by the likes of Chuck Berry and Angus Yound for inspiration.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
After reading up on arpeggios, i guess what i have been doing all the time is arpeggios and not solos.. argh!

or..can solos be replaced with arpeggios?
use slides, hammer-ons and pull-offs, bends, sequences and viberatos. what else?
Gear:

Jackson DKMG Dinky
ESP LTD EX-400
Peavey 6505
Digitech Metal Master Distortion Pedal
Fender G-Tec Junior Amplifier
    Quote by oreodunk
    After reading up on arpeggios, i guess what i have been doing all the time is arpeggios and not solos.. argh!

or..can solos be replaced with arpeggios?

Arpeggios are used all the time in solos but, like any other type of mechanism you
    can put into a solo, you wouldn't want to do it all the time.

You might want to start with blues. Learn to solo over a basic blues progession.
    Do some, and then do more of it. Copy a bunch of blues licks (there's lots of
    books that do this and gives you an analysis of the licks). Its about the easiest
    place to start.
    Quote by oreodunk
    Hey every UGers, before you flame me by saying use the SCALES, i must let you all know that i know the scales but i do not know how to utilise them. When i try to solo using C and C# blues scale, the tone isn't right..In addition, i have not learn modes yet. So i am trying to do simple solos. When im free, i grabbed my guitar and findle around and somehow i managed to create a "solo" but i do not think it is a solo. It sound like melodic intros of songs.....not enough dynamite of how actual SOLO should sound.

Can anyone teach me how to utilise scales to make solo?

Thank you very much

have you tried learning any solos. If so how many, and how well can you play them?
    TS:

you say you "know the scales"

which ones? there are tons!!

i suggest all-guitar-chords.com check their scales section.

and if you REALLY cant solo... then you REALLY dont know any scales...... at all.