I was wondering if you guys know any programs that would be good for making beats like that of the Postal Service. I'm looking to make some soft synth pop and currently I am using FL Studio 7, but the lack of access without registration makes it hard for me to know if the program is even worth buying. Should I just use an older version of fruity loops or do you have any good recommendations for other synth pop programs? Also, how the hell do you use the drum pads in flstudio 7 if anyone knows.
Quote by bmac85
I was wondering if you guys know any programs that would be good for making beats like that of the Postal Service. I'm looking to make some soft synth pop and currently I am using FL Studio 7, but the lack of access without registration makes it hard for me to know if the program is even worth buying. Should I just use an older version of fruity loops or do you have any good recommendations for other synth pop programs? Also, how the hell do you use the drum pads in flstudio 7 if anyone knows.

well, are you willing to buy it? or are you just looking for a freebie?

If you want to buy a program, I would highly recommend propellerheads reason. (I think its up to version 4, but versions 2 and 3 are great if you can find them)

something like Logic Express is great too, and may be the better choice if you want to record audio along with your sequences.
Quote by GuitarMunky
well, are you willing to buy it? or are you just looking for a freebie?

If you want to buy a program, I would highly recommend propellerheads reason. (I think its up to version 4, but versions 2 and 3 are great if you can find them)

something like Logic Express is great too, and may be the better choice if you want to record audio along with your sequences...and have a Mac

Fixed. And yes I second Reason as well which works on both PC's and Macs.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

I haven't used version seven yet, but I can recommend Fruity Loops 5. It's EXATREMELY HARD to learn how to use all of its features, but if you do, it'll be worth it. You can really do some great stuff with it, especially if you download more sound samples. There are tons of drum kits and guitar packages that you can download for free, and there's a great site for tutorials too, so Fruity Loops is a great choice if you're into techno and syth-type sounds.
Forget about Fruity Loops. Use Reason 4.0

Trust me.

You could also use any program that supports VST plugins, and then look for the specific VSTs you want.

I've never heard Postal Service, but I listen to alot of synthpop, and if you're looking for that classic synthpop drum sound, you want to use one of the Rock kits for the ReDrum computer in reason, and patch the snare through a compressor, and possibly a gate as well.

Alot of compression on a snare will give it that 80's sound you probably want.
Last edited by sargasm at Oct 13, 2007,