Not sure if this is the right place to post this... but how do you get that weird tone?
Using my boss ds-1 on my clean channel,I crank the distortion the 11,and turn the tone knob to 12, It sounds almost like it. Do I need an octave effect lower?
I heard somewhere that it is an effect called a ring modulator. I think it's pretty uncommon in guitars. It was used in the doctor who theme tune...
Tony doesn't use one live from performances ive seen on youtube etc.
good luck finding one!
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Quote by John W
I heard somewhere that it is an effect called a ring modulator. I think it's pretty uncommon in guitars. It was used in the doctor who theme tune...
Tony doesn't use one live from performances ive seen on youtube etc.
good luck finding one!
Crap...Thank you man, I'll be looking.
As far as I know ring modulators are no longer mass produced. They died out in the early eighties. You may find one in a rack mount or boutique pedal. Try some phaser/flanger settings and see if you can get close enough, or combinations of pedals.
Quote by uldhppi
As far as I know ring modulators are no longer mass produced. They died out in the early eighties. You may find one in a rack mount or boutique pedal. Try some phaser/flanger settings and see if you can get close enough, or combinations of pedals.

Huh? Moog makes some. Marshall makes one, though I've never tried it. And the Line 6 FM-4 has lots of ring modulators to try out.

I love them, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez uses them a lot.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
The only mass produced ones I know of are the EHX Frequency Analyzer and the Moog one
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Didn't even know Moog was still around. They were a good company, frequently on the cutting edge. Didn't know about the Marshall, but I wouldn't touch the Line 6. I'd want analog. EHX has been making them for decades, I forgot. I may want to try one of those myself.
moogerfooger can be had for $250 ish. check ebay though
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
the zoom multi effects units have them i think. i've got a g2, and i'm 99% sure theres one on that. they're quite cheep too, but the effects sound good. might be worth having a look for one of those.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
the solo's weird becuase it sounds like a fuzzed signal layered on an extremely fuzzed signal, almost like the speaker has been slashed or damaged
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
I agree that it sounds like sitting here listening to it like one speaker has a "clearer" lead sound and the other has allot more of a fuzz sound to it .

I think one of the better sounding lead breaks are on the song on Utube at the Queens jubilee or wtf ever it is called.. The one with Collins playing drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekmwZYUJKsY
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that my reason for stating the one I linked is because it is not overdubbed as the album song.......
right. I'm sure an LBM could get the sound he gets live

In a related note, an MXR Distorition + is awesome for Randy Rhoads tone (He used one with a Marshall JMP and an MXR 10 band EQ)
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
According to a book I have that has the tab for Paranoid, the solo was played through an octave pedal that added a note an octave lower (not higher), then the signal was split, and routed through an unspecified effect (probably the aforementioned ring modulator), then possibly routed back to a mixing board input with the gain up full. A lot is speculation, but it is quite specific about the octave effect.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Sometimes extreme distortion can add some harmonics that sound similar to octave divider effects. It sometimes sounds like two guitars at once. So far its happens accidentally but I'll have to try to duplicate it.
Yeah, a knoow for a fact the TRex Mudhoney adds a subharmonic to the sound, so I'd imagine some other fuzz pedals do it as well
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild