when playing through a high gain channel on my amp creates a lot of sloppy sounding noise while playing through the clean channel my playing doesn't sound sloppy at all. Seeing how i usually learn new songs and solos unplugged i suspect that its a lot of sloppiness that you can really detect with out playing though a gain channel. I've been playing for almost four years now so i suspect that it's going to be hard to break out of. Any one have any tips on how to clean up my technique?
How I overcame this problem is by playing loud. Play as loud as you can, and you will notice every single mistakes that you make. Then just deal with them one by one.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by p.stick
How I overcame this problem is by playing loud. Play as loud as you can, and you will notice every single mistakes that you make. Then just deal with them one by one.

+1
playin a lot of acoustic, like versions of your electric songs on an acoustic. Get it good on that and electric will be a breeze, that's what did it for me back in the day.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by shredmeiser101
playin a lot of acoustic, like versions of your electric songs on an acoustic. Get it good on that and electric will be a breeze, that's what did it for me back in the day.

Very good idea here.
Also, reduce your gain and work up to the high gain.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Slow it down.

If you are making unwanted string noise, slow down far enough so you can identify where you're going wrong, then work up from there, gradually increasing the tempo.

I've realised over the past year that my playing was sloppy, so i just slowed my self down, and started over, now my playing accuracy has significantly increased.

Practice both clean, and with distortion.
if it sounds clear on the clean channel its nothing to do with your technique. you must have a very noisy amp. what amp do you have?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Yeh get a decent noise gate and keep working on it, the noise gate will only let through the noise your making yourself making it easier to work on.
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
I had the same problem when I got my Epi VJ. Just stare at your fingers while you play. Then, you'll know what to do naturally. Personally, I needed to stop playing with the pads of my fingers and start playing with the tips. It wasn't a hard switch at all.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.