So I was wondering what I could do to get better and faster because recently I've been frustrated because I realized I'm not as good as I want to be.

Then it hit me like a tube-sock full of vegetable soup. Scales.

So which one(s) should i learn first? I assume the major scale... what else is important?
I'm Tyler
gotta know your major and minor pentatonics. Then when you get enough knowledge down...try the modes of the major scale.
I would say the major scale, because the whole of western music is based around it.
Quote by J.A.M
I would say the major scale, because the whole of western music is based around it.

+1. It kind of bothers me when people say that you should learn the pentatonics before the Major scale. Playingwise, I can see why. But Theory wise, not at all.
It's kind of like saying "Learn the regional dialects of the south of France first, then learn French"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
In order:

Major scale - 2 octaves
Root on E string
Root on A string

minor scale - 2 octaves
Root on E string
Root on A string

minor pentatonics - 2 octaves
All 5 positions

Once you've learnt all your minor pentatonics you already know your Major pents, its just a case of matching up equivalents.

Is that enough to be going on with for now?
Why the distinction between learning the major scale with specific roots, then "all five positions" of the minor pentatonic???

A scale is a scale is a scale, there's no "positions", there's no "boxes"...it's just a pattern of intervals that spans a single octave and repeats. You either learn a scale or you don't, if you "learn" the major scale just by roots on the bottom two strings or over just two octaves then you haven't learned it at all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Don't fall into the trap of just learning the box shapes for scales, it helps in the beginning and is a great tool but in the end you'll end up playing "in the box" a lot and find it hard to change out of it. So when you learn your scales don't learn them as just shapes, but as intervals and notes. It's also useful if you ever play another non-guitar based instrument. If all you know is box shapes then you'll be ****ed if you try to do scales on piano. You'll just have to learn it all over again to some extent.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by Chris_Sleeps
Your being a **** tonight.

No I'm not, I just don't see the point of learning something half-cocked...most of the problems guitarists have with scales is not knowing what they are. If you take the time to do a little groundwork beforehand and approach them the right way then they're a lot easier to understand and learn.

With the right approach there's no need for boxes or positions at all, you learn the scale as notes and the patterns form themselves. Ultimately that's a lot better than leraning a load of arbitrary patterns of dots and trying to crowbar the theory on top at a later date.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc