I ve being playing the guitar for 2 and a half years now and during these years I have had now and then times where i don't feel like playing or i am not in the mood of thinking about music. This had lasted a couple of days and i have pushed myself to carry on playing and the interest comes back. Sometimes instead of playing electric, i play my acoustic instead or just change my style.
But this time i feel as tho i arnt bothered with either guitars or styles and that my mind says 'not to day tomorrow'.

This has gone to far now and the days are getting on where i arnt bothered to play AT ALL!!
Am i losing my interest??
It happened to me too at some point, it's not really losing interest in music, it's more like being tired.
Later or sooner the interest is going to come back again.
I HAVE A SIG AND IT'S HUGE LOL
^ yup, sometimes i'll have a week or 2 where i don't play, it hasn't been lately but it has happened before. i say don't sweat it and don't force it on yerself. it'll come back to ya don't worry about it.
What usually cures this for me is listening to some virtuosos. When I'm losing interest, I'll throw in some Satriani or Marty Friedman. that always brings me back to my guitar.
yeah it happens to me once every couple of months, but when I come back to it I improve alot. ATM im in one of my "not really bothered with guitar and repeating similar licks all the time" phases, but ill snap out.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Happens to me sometimes, its just a kind of phase, it happens sometimes when you do something often, then you get "sick" of it and after short times u want to continue what you were doing
Im in that right now. I played a gig just over a month ago, and havent picked up my guitar since. Sure Ill play for 5 minutes here and there, but I have no desire to play. I just dont give a damn anymore. Sure I still take theory lessons and I do all that but it seems as though its my voice which Im really concentrating on. I just dont give a damn about guitar at the moment, but I pray it will come back.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Yes you are losing i interest. I would advise to start a serious band,and just produce your own music. Forget about developing your guitar skills for now. Just remember to keep your musical skills sharp, whether it is songwriting, programming, or playing an instrument.

And don't listen to those stupid people who say its just a "phase" because I know people who used to play Dream theater stuff, but now they can't play hot cross buns. Because they lost interest and stopped playing for 2 years.
/\ yes because that happens to everyone doesnt it? if you really enjoy playing music then it will come back. if not then it may take a great inspiration.
eg. my old guitar teacher used to make playing a chore. eventually i stopped playing because i didnt like it. two years later my mate starts talking about starting a band (which actually never occurred). immediately i want to start playing again, and im now even better then i was before. all it takes is a single motivation.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by Jon Bloor
I ve being playing the guitar for 2 and a half years now and during these years I have had now and then times where i don't feel like playing or i am not in the mood of thinking about music. This had lasted a couple of days and i have pushed myself to carry on playing and the interest comes back. Sometimes instead of playing electric, i play my acoustic instead or just change my style.
But this time i feel as tho i arnt bothered with either guitars or styles and that my mind says 'not to day tomorrow'.

This has gone to far now and the days are getting on where i arnt bothered to play AT ALL!!
Am i losing my interest??

yes, you're losing interest. nothing wrong with that, though. if you don't feel like playing, then don't play. it's called "playing" for a reason. it's supposed to be fun. don't force it.

If you feel like you're cheating yourself or being unproductive on those days when you don't feel like playing, then do something else music-related. Learn a new instrument. Study theory. Write lyrics. Read a book. Anything! There are SO many other things you can do to help yourself develop as a musician that don't involve holding a guitar in your hands. take advantage of those times when you don't feel like playing.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
You just need to spark your interest, either you need to learn something new or maybe you've outgrown your gear,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I understand what you mean. I lack the motivation to practice my guitar (and do my homework lol) and I know i really need to practice more to get better, especially as in my last lesson i just completely and utterly forgot my scales which was pretty stupid.

Its just about finding something that motivates you, like people or songs or even comeptition to be better than someone else.
burnout - you might have been overdoing it lately. Just start playing now and then, even for a few minutes.

Sometimes when I feel like that if i'm just sitting around or something i'll have myself just hold my guitar, screw around for it a bit, and sometimes I just start playing again and the interest comes back.
Thnks for the advice guys!! I have being over doing it, i play about 4 5 or 6 hours a day and then all of a sudden i wake up and bang interest has left me. I am still at the stage of cba to learn, but i ll try to look at somthing else music wise in the mean time!!

I think my problem is tht iam trying to playing and get louder and better things.
Should i try start a band??
Last edited by Jon Bloor at Oct 13, 2007,
yes! thats the perfect motivation! keeping up with the rest of the band skills wise.
"F*ck the guitar solos!!" - Olli Vänskä

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
I dont know whats worse, you going out with a peadophile, or the fact you went to see Dragonforce
Err... DragonForce?

Happily married to SuperKoolKid