Alright, i'm in a predicament here, I want to order a amp online, but i'm not sure of reliable sites. I was thinking of using musiciansfriend but i've heard some bad things....but my main problem is I want to be able to hear the amp before i buy it to see what kind of tone it gives off and how it's effects sound. So does anyone know of any amp that I can get for $300-500 that gives at least a few good effects (not that worried about that) but especially gives great tone, like maybe near petrucci's tone, and a distortion that is able to sound good no matter if i'm playing blues or metal?

edit:I just realized i put this on the wrong spot...sorry.
Are you looking for a Stack, or combo amp.

good sites are zzsounds.com, and Musiciansfriend.com
Great tone and decent built-in effects are not an option in that price range (or any other in my opinion.) A good tube combo and some stomp boxes will get you there.
A stack is where the head (parts that amplify) is separate from the speaker cabinet. So at least two pieces. A combo is where the head and speakers are combined into one cabinet (box.)
Combo: Generally cheaper and more portable (takes up smaller space but may still be fairly heavy.) Usually open-backed speakers so slightly different sound (more open, less low end punch.) Most can run an extra cabinet making them much more flexible.
Stacks: Usually higher powered. Take up more room but may be lighter per piece than a combo. The head can be isolated from the speakers vibrations (good for tube life.) More speakers if its a 412 (4-12" speakers) or more so it moves more air, gives a tiny bit more volume per watt and covers a larger area with sound.
what kind of music do you play? then we can recommend models as opposed to brands
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
if its for home and band practice a palomino v16 + an overdrive pedal. if you plan to gig with it then a palomino v32 and then an OD pedal at a later date

peavey classic 20 is also worth a look
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by uldhppi
Combo: Generally cheaper and more portable (takes up smaller space but may still be fairly heavy.) Usually open-backed speakers so slightly different sound (more open, less low end punch.) Most can run an extra cabinet making them much more flexible.
Stacks: Usually higher powered. Take up more room but may be lighter per piece than a combo. The head can be isolated from the speakers vibrations (good for tube life.) More speakers if its a 412 (4-12" speakers) or more so it moves more air, gives a tiny bit more volume per watt and covers a larger area with sound.

I should also add, once you get past the initial investment into a speaker, heads tend to be cheaper then combos. So while stacks are more expensive starting off, in the long run they tend to be a bit cheaper then combos.