Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
I was wondering if anyone could share with me their bass settings for the following artists:
Flea
Geddy Lee
Les Claypool
Geezer Butler
Sting
Cliff Burton
Duff McKagan
Dusty Hill
Tim Crawford
Gene Simmons
Lemmy Kilmister
"Murdoc Niccals" a.k.a. the bass for The Gorillaz
Thanks!
Cliff Burton: Bass - 3 O'Clock, Mids - 3 O'Clock, Treble 12 O'Clock
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
I don't mean to sound like a dick, but try and find your own tone rather than copying someone elses. Also, the artists you suggested all use VERY different setups, some play passive and some play active basses, some use roundwound and some use flatwound strings, some use classic all-tube heads and some use more modern solid state ones (some even use guitar amps).
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
I don't mean to sound like a dick, but try and find your own tone rather than copying someone elses. Also, the artists you suggested all use VERY different setups, some play passive and some play active basses, some use roundwound and some use flatwound strings, some use classic all-tube heads and some use more modern solid state ones (some even use guitar amps).

+1 Try finding your own tone, so you can make your own music.

I say he should'nt be hated on for wanting to know.
but it's not hard to make your own tone, just fiddling with knobs until your bass sounds really cool.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yeah, just make something up. I tend to like mids since they remind me of Primus (or at least with my basses), but I don't have a Carl Thompson bass with active pickups or anything like that, so it sounds different. I like it though. Just mess around.
I'm in a cover band, so that's why I'm looking for certain tones.
I have come up with my own stuff and even taken a stab at some of these artists as well.
I just wanted other opinions.
I don't need to post here to make up my own stuff, so you won't see me posting things like, "Check out this setting I just came up with!" If I'm on here, it's usually to ask advice or give it.
Thanks to the guy who gave me Cliff's and to the guy who understands why I posted this.
To the other guys, I hear where you're coming from, but it's not what I'm looking for and it's not news to me.
Quote by the humanity
I say he should'nt be hated on for wanting to know.
but it's not hard to make your own tone, just fiddling with knobs until your bass sounds really cool.

Did anyone hate on this guy? No, we were merely suggesting he branch of into his own unique tone. And, in Indie's case, he also said why it would be very difficult to achieve all of those listed's tone.

EDIT: After seeing your post I understand. Sorry I can't help you in this department though.
I was just thinking at band rehearsal today i should post for some advice on settings.

I am struggling to find a tone that cuts through my guitarists (i have 3 now) and still sounds cool. We play thrashy metal/core type stuff...any suggestions?
Quote by to_the_grave
I was just thinking at band rehearsal today i should post for some advice on settings.

I am struggling to find a tone that cuts through my guitarists (i have 3 now) and still sounds cool. We play thrashy metal/core type stuff...any suggestions?

The real key to cutting through the band is in the mids.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Ice Cold J
I'm in a cover band, so that's why I'm looking for certain tones.
I have come up with my own stuff and even taken a stab at some of these artists as well.
I just wanted other opinions.
I don't need to post here to make up my own stuff, so you won't see me posting things like, "Check out this setting I just came up with!" If I'm on here, it's usually to ask advice or give it.
Thanks to the guy who gave me Cliff's and to the guy who understands why I posted this.
To the other guys, I hear where you're coming from, but it's not what I'm looking for and it's not news to me.

so you're in a cover band, does your guitarist use the same rig as all the groups you cover, does your drummer use the same kit as all the groups you cover, does your singer try to sound exactly like all the vocalists from the groups you cover.

bottom line is you don't need to have the same tone as someone to cover them. and you're never going to get anywhere near the tones you've asked for because 1 they are studio tones, studio tones don't always work well live and 2 you are asking for such a wide variety of artists with a wide variety of tones that you'd spend 9/10s of a gig changing your amp settings in a futile attempt to sound like them.

for example
cliff used a rickenbacker and an aria pro bass, flea uses his SIGNATURE modulus bass and a jazz bass, les claypool uses his carl thompson basses and ocassionally a jazz bass, geddy lee uses a rickenbacker 4001 and his SIGNATURE jazz bass, duff uses p basses and aerodyne p basses, lemmy uses rickenbackers, geezer butler uses p basses, tim comerford uses musicman stingrays and jazz basses.

you won't get a rickenbacker sound from anything other than a rickenbacker same as you won't get a p bass sound from anything without a p bass pickup same as you won't get a jazz bass sound from anything with jazz bass pickups same as you won't get a musicman sound with humbuckers

now i'm not even gonna go into what amps they use because that's a whole other ball park
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
To the guy who gave the Cliff Burton setting, no offense but what were you thinking? I put that setting in my Marshall and it made burping and screeching sounds at me. It didn't sound close to Cliff Burton nor did it sound good on my guitar. Sorry if I sound like a troll, I just got angry.
If you want a really good Geddy Lee tone, you're going to need a SansAmp pedal or rackmount unit. It has been a huge component of his sound for at least 20 years. Boost the mids, don't skimp on the bottom and crank the drive to get a fair amount of distortion.

Gene Simmons tends to be an "SVT with every knob on 5" kind of guy.

Les Claypool has no single sound. He uses state of the art equipment and instruments, and he gets more sounds and tones out of an electric bass than any mere mortal should be allowed.

Lemmy? A tube bass amp cranked to the gills, with a fair amount of treble. He has always stated that he plays his bass as more of a rhythm guitarist than a true bassist. Forty years of prodigious crank abuse will do that to you.

Hope this helps.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Geddy Lee's tone has changed through the decades anyway. My personal favourite is on the Caress of Steel album, in particular the track "The Necromancer".

Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by RonaldPoe
To the guy who gave the Cliff Burton setting, no offense but what were you thinking? I put that setting in my Marshall and it made burping and screeching sounds at me. It didn't sound close to Cliff Burton nor did it sound good on my guitar. Sorry if I sound like a troll, I just got angry.

OMG, necrobump...

And all these settings threads are useless because it depends a lot more on which amp and bass you are using than which settings you are using. Different amps are voiced differently. Some amps are mid heavy and you need to cut the mids while some amps are more scooped and you need to boost the mids to get the same sound.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by RonaldPoe
Sorry if I sound like a troll, I just got angry.

It might have been trolly if you'd posted that 6 years ago when this thread was active. Seeing as its no longer 2007 your post simply gives off a strong aroma of spam.

Please don't necrobump dead threads.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass