Page 1 of 2
When I overheard a conversation today. I'm not usually one to but into other people's chats, but I could simply not let this one go. The subject matter this guy said was:

"You can neither prove nor disprove my theory that the world was created 5 minutes ago, with everyone living from implanted memories and lifestyles."

Pretty sure I made a head movement a puppy makes when he hears a strange noise. Anyways, as I politely engaged myself into the conversation ("Oi! Prick!"), my argument was that there was a key difference between living something and reliving a memory, as it is two levels of consciousness, and also remembering and living something that will become a favored memory are also two different processes.

His comeback was that my statement was also theoretical, and not a valid argument. Right, Freud was a quack eh?
Anyway, I responded that if he wanted physical evidence, look no further then radioactive decay, fossils (hell, carbon dating?), and the geological processes involved in creating precious gems. If everything were created right out of the blue, then surely rubys, sapphires, and daimonds would be pretty close together, right? Nope, because each has an entirely different set of conditions to form in, and would be impossible to simply create from nothing without 'cultivating' them first.

He pretty much stfu after that, but I thought this might be a valid discussion for The Pit of Glorious Opinionated Elitism to sink its claws into. Your thoughts?
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Quote by The Leader
Your thoughts?

You're a dirty eavesdropper.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
umm...ya know i really dont like these debates and dont understand why geeks need to keep arguing about the "creation of life" just ****in live it......and stop bringing it to the pit

/nerds
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
Quote by Kensai

lol

I'm completely thick when it comes to this stuff, but I agree with what you said.
Technically, he's right. There is no way to absolutely disprove that. But there is plenty of pretty conclusive evidence against it.
Death to Ovation haters!
Poor guy. What a way to meet your first Pit Monkey.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by which ones pink
He got pwned. I always wonder why and how the hell people come up with these whacked theories.

He probably found it on the Internet and was like "I wanna sound like a supa-cool philosophizer guy!"

Oh, and by the way, just because Freud said it doesn't mean it's indisputable fact, good Sir.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

some people you just cant argue with, even if you know all the facts some people just know it all in thier own minds
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
actually his argument is pretty valid
not only would our memories be just "there", but so would all of the geological evidence you said, they would be created or spontaneously just be there. its Bertrand Russel's five minute hypothesis. our memories are just connections between neurons in our brain, so they can just "be" there, so can all of the rubies and saphires, radioactive decay, and light streaming towards us from other galaxies
Quote by SteveHouse

Oh, and by the way, just because Freud said it doesn't mean it's indisputable fact, good Sir.

Oh, absolutely, I never meant to refer to Freud as indisputable, I just used him as an example since there has been research aplently into the workings of the mind, and memories, to say that all memories up to 5 minutes ago were 'planted'.
You missed out one main point in your argument.

You never got in one little fight, so consequently your Mom didn't get scared, and you didn't move with your Auntie and Uncle in Bel-Air.

Honestly, people these days.....
Quote by TOAOIsaac
PWNED!!!! Nice work on that.

+1

LTD EX-351
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1960A
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
He obviously studies philosophy and you do not.

From a philosophical stand point, you cannot prove much of anything.

I am the only REAL person in the universe and a demon is distorting my mind to make me believe what I see around me. Prove me wrong. You can't.

The only thing you can be 100% certain about is that you exist.
Quote by PatchworkMan
Technically, he's right. There is no way to absolutely disprove that. But there is plenty of pretty conclusive evidence against it.

+1

yea you didn't really pwn him...he's an idiot if he thought you did. so yea he probably just looked up on the internet to try to sound smart.
philosophy is just that, philosophy
and nothing in philosophy can be disproved
hence paradox's ?
On this last beat,

my heart will freeze.

we'll end in harmony.

Quote by Thornography
I usually get lost after 3 words... maybe it happens to others.
Quote by Doofag

I am the only REAL person in the universe and a demon is distorting my mind to make me believe what I see around me. Prove me wrong. You can't.

Oh really? *ahem* (straightens glasses)
I've studied philosophy quite a bit in college, particulary fascinated by Nietzche and the traditionals.

I have also read every single piece of published literature from every philospher that ever lived. Prove me wrong. You can't.
Quote by The Leader
I've studied philosophy quite a bit in college, particulary fascinated by Nietzche and the traditionals.

I have also read every single piece of published literature from every philospher that ever lived. Prove me wrong. You can't.

It's technically not possible as there are loads of books and
1. you wouldnt have the money
2. you wouldnt have the time
3. Therefore god exists

now beat that
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Quote by The Leader

You should make another thread telling people you owned me.
Quote by The Leader
"You can neither prove nor disprove my theory that the world was created 5 minutes ago, with everyone living from implanted memories and lifestyles."

"Intellectual" drivel. I'd almost rather see another penis thread.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Mister.Y
It's technically not possible as there are loads of books and
1. you wouldnt have the money
2. you wouldnt have the time
3. Therefore god exists

now beat that

Beat that? You can't logically draw from 1 and 2 that 3 is true. Therefore your argument = fail.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

^You obviously haven't seen the thread he's referencing.

Anyways, there's a difference between actually believing something like that and just thinking about it. I've thought about stuff like that before, that doesn't necessarily mean I believe it, but it's interesting to look at something like that and realize that it's virtually impossible to prove anything.
Quote by The Leader
His comeback was that my statement was also theoretical, and not a valid argument. Right, Freud was a quack eh?

Freud WAS a quack. Sure he may be the "father" of psychology but he also made some pretty ridiculous theories.

Quote by Doofag

I vote you can't even be sure of that. Sure, congito ergo sum, but really... I say nothing is certain. That's not to say I don't exist, just you shouldn't assume anything.

EDIT:
Quote by Doofag

Hahaha, now THAT is pwned.
Quote by The Leader
Anyway, I responded that if he wanted physical evidence, look no further then radioactive decay, fossils (hell, carbon dating?), and the geological processes involved in creating precious gems. If everything were created right out of the blue, then surely rubys, sapphires, and daimonds would be pretty close together, right? Nope, because each has an entirely different set of conditions to form in, and would be impossible to simply create from nothing without 'cultivating' them first.

It would be impossible to create those and not everything else? It would be simple to create a sample as half-decayed if it was possible to create an entire universe.

The guy's argument is valid. You might be aware of the present but in 5 minutes time you will only have a memory of that present. Are you sure you were really there?
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
It would be impossible to create those and not everything else? It would be simple to create a sample as half-decayed if it was possible to create an entire universe.

Now we're getting a bit into creationism vs evolution, just a tad.

Sure if the entire universe were created, it would be possible to create half-decayed samples, just not in 5 minutes. No one can say for sure if it were created, came into existence, big bang, little bang, etc etc, but putting up a new coat of paint in a single toilet bathroom in 5 minutes is still a pretty tall order, much less creating a new universe that starts at a specific point of time, with miniscule details meticulously cared for, involving things that took years of research for us to understand, and plenty others that we can't even begin to.

On another note, ever see the movie Dark City? Nice flick, aliens are simulating human living conditions by implanting memories and such.
Quote by Doofag

Nice , but I'm not that much of an egomaniac, am I?
Quote by The Leader

Sure if the entire universe were created, it would be possible to create half-decayed samples, just not in 5 minutes. No one can say for sure if it were created, came into existence, big bang, little bang, etc etc, but putting up a new coat of paint in a single toilet bathroom in 5 minutes is still a pretty tall order, much less creating a new universe that starts at a specific point of time, with miniscule details meticulously cared for, involving things that took years of research for us to understand, and plenty others that we can't even begin to.

On another note, ever see the movie Dark City? Nice flick, aliens are simulating human living conditions by implanting memories and such.

If you were assuming it was possible to create the universe as it is in an instant (for a philosophical argument) then you can't use the idea of radioactive decay to disprove it because the creator could just make the sample half-decayed.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Doofag

This was what I thought.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by The Leader

Just because it seems unlikely is not to say it's impossible. After all, your view/logic on this is based on what the creator made you have.

Anyway, I think the person who said this probably meant it more as a theoretical/philosphical discussion point than an actual religious theory.
Quote by Meths
If you were assuming it was possible to create the universe as it is in an instant (for a philosophical argument) then you can't use the idea of radioactive decay to disprove it because the creator could just make the sample half-decayed.

But if the creator could do so, why would he? Wouldn't he/she/it/whatever want to see a planted seed grow to fruition, or are we all the products of a basement dwelling fat guy on an advanced computer playing The Sims with cheats on?
The guy's got a point. If you think that memories and what we perceive are different then consider the following experiment:

A group of people all had their brains hooked up to some of those new-fangled brain scanner things that could read all the electrical impulses.

They were shown a rose and asked to concentrate on it, and their brainwaves were measured.

Next (no longer with the rose in front of them) they were asked to close their eyes and imagine the rose. The brain lit up in exactly the same way as when they had been actually looking at it.

[cue sci-fi music]

[roll credits]

[insert clip alluding to the fact that the hero isn't dead, and that, yes, M Night Shyamalan WILL be making a disappointing sequel]
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by The Leader
But if the creator could do so, why would he? Wouldn't he/she/it/whatever want to see a planted seed grow to fruition, or are we all the products of a basement dwelling fat guy on an advanced computer playing The Sims with cheats on?

Why would he? So we would all think the world was old. Why would he give us all those memories if that's not what he wanted?

Anywa, again I think you are actually straying off the real point. The guy didn't say "I think some aliens/a big fat guy/God/Zappp created the world 5 minutes ago and gave us memories", it was making a logical and theoretical statement that we can't be sure of anything around us.
Quote by Kensai

eavesdropper is something ells then just overhearing some sentence

EDIT: eff....kinda dated that quote. needa learn to read everything before posting >.<
Gear:

Jackson performer (miJ)
Cort Earth 700
roland cube 15
Behringer Wah
Boss rc-2 loop station

Dutch Power!!

Quote by DieGarbageMan
Proffesser Oak : I Came when i heard you beat the elite four

Quote by The Leader

His point was valid. You cannot disprove his assertion. The motives of the creator would be irrelevant.

Oscar Wilde
Page 1 of 2