Hello there. Im a 17 year old student in my final year of collage and for my DT class im making a guitar. What is special about this guitar is that i am planning on fitting it with a compensated tuning system to prevent all those buggy slightly sharps and slightly flats at the first 4 frets. Don't worry if you've never noticed these you can still help! ... Im also aware that there are other systems which solve the problem but i would still apreciate everyone in this guitar comunities in put but just requesting that you answer a few questions?

SECTION 1

1) How much (max) would you be prepared to pay for a guitar with a system fitted which solved all major intonation problems?
Ans:

2) How much extra (max) would you be prepared to pay on to the price of a regular guitar for the system?
Ans:

3) Would you want the design of the guitar to make a point of the compensated tuning system or would you rather it made no difference to the look or playabillity?
Ans:

4) How conservative would you say you are as a guitarist (e.g. how sensitive to change, open to new ideas, specific about which guitar you stick with)?
Ans:

SECTION 2

5) How wild do you think the shape of a guitar can go without becoming unattractive?
Ans:

6)i) How highly to you class style and looks in a guitar?
Ans:
ii) As a smaller issue do you have any particular colour/colour scheme preference when choosing a guitar?
Ans:

7) With regards to weight vs. tone which would you regard as more important to have in a gigging guitar?
Ans:

8) What would be the ideal wieight of a gigging guitar?
Ans:

9) What should be the maximum wieight of a gigging guitar in your opinion?
Ans:

If you could please take the time to just copy and paste the questions and fill in your answers i would be very very greatful!

Thanks for your time

Daniel Drumm
SECTION 1

1) How much (max) would you be prepared to pay for a guitar with a system fitted which solved all major intonation problems?
Ans:Depends on the guitar, maybe £800

2) How much extra (max) would you be prepared to pay on to the price of a regular guitar for the system?
Ans: About £150

3) Would you want the design of the guitar to make a point of the compensated tuning system or would you rather it made no difference to the look or playabillity?
Ans:
I wouldn't mind if it took away from the looks, but I certainly wouldn't want it to inhibit the playability.

4) How conservative would you say you are as a guitarist (e.g. how sensitive to change, open to new ideas, specific about which guitar you stick with)?
Ans: I'm all for change, I don't ever stick to a certain brand while buying, just go with whatever I can get best for my money. New ideas are a positive as well, without it, nothing would go anywhere.

SECTION 2

5) How wild do you think the shape of a guitar can go without becoming unattractive?
Ans: There are some points where it can go OTT and become ugly, like Dean Razorbacks for example, I think the most extreme would be Ibanez Xiphos

Ans: Not at all. Style/looks for me come third in line, right after sound/tone and playability.
ii) As a smaller issue do you have any particular colour/colour scheme preference when choosing a guitar?
Ans: Depends what guitar, some guitars look better than others when it comes to colours, but i generally go for either Black, or an extravagant finish, much like my Ibanez (in my profile)

7) With regards to weight vs. tone which would you regard as more important to have in a gigging guitar?
Ans: Tone definitely, although if the gig was a long set, I'd like to have a light weight guitar, and have the amp make the most of my tone.

Ans:

Ans:
Last edited by buckethead_jr at Oct 12, 2007,
wats DT class?
sry, im a young person
FightFor Honor, Fight For Your Life, Praying To God That Our Side Is Right.
-M.I.A.

Seize The Day or Die Regretting the Time you Lost is Empty and Cold Without You Here.
-Seize The Day
Some reference material...if you haven't already seen em

https://www.earvana.com/
http://www.buzzfeiten.com/
http://www.truetemperament.com/
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
thanks for that but i have already written about 1000 words on them no that im not greatful!! The true temp is my fave but i left that out and put the wave fret system in instead so that i could state a similar design solution in the form of the temp one....dont want to limit my options too much
Last edited by priceless_twirp at Oct 12, 2007,
SECTION 1

Ans: depends entirely on the quality of the guitar in question

Ans: £100

Ans: no difference

Ans: open to new ideas, if it looks cool and sounds good why dismiss it because it's different?

SECTION 2

Ans: V shaped, mocking bird etc. it can be as wild as you want so long as it is nothing but smooth curves, with the exception of V's

Ans: as important as the sound (so very)

Ans: Plain black is bad, otherwise I have no real preferance

Ans: as warm a tone as possible regardless of weight

8) What would be the ideal weight of a gigging guitar?
Ans: Fender strat weight

9) What should be the maximum weight of a gigging guitar in your opinion?
Ans: no heavier than a full-mahogany les paul
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
SECTION 1

Ans: Depends

Ans: 100 $

Ans: no difference

Ans: pretty open

SECTION 2

Ans: pretty wild explorer/V/whatever

Ans: About 40% of my interest in a guitar goes to the cosmetics, the other 60% to tone.
Ans: black and white can be really nice, only black is dull, I like sunbursts, those wicked jackson finishes as well (crimson swirl, eerie dess swirl)

Ans: light weight, get the best tone out of the amp

Ans:4 pounds

Ans:
SECTION 1

Ans: $1500 (Although it really depends on the rest of the guitar)

Ans: $80 (Note that I have bought an Earvana Compensated Nut for $35 and has worked out perfectly well, but proper compensation is important )

Ans: No difference in look or playability.

Ans: I'm pretty open to new ideas and I like guitars from smaller companies.

SECTION 2

Ans: It depends on the shape; really like the Minarik Inferno but I find BC Rich Warlocks hideous.

Ans: Playability, Tone, Looks.
Ans: White, Black, or Grey (Transparent Black over Quilted Maple being my favorite)

Ans: Tone is something that I'm not very willing to sacrifice, but playing 2+ hour sets with a huge guitar isn't that fun either.

Ans: 10 pounds or under.

Ans: 15 pounds
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
SECTION 1

Ans: Depends on the guitar really. I regard the system more as an extra, so the guitar itself should be worth it.

Ans: Given that I'm not too bothered by the slight sharps and flats as found on a regular guitar, I'd say about 100 to 200 Euro's.

Ans: Rather not. Sometimes these inovative designers want to tweek every aspect of a guitar, resulting in a perfectly intonated, ergonomically correct, but intensely ugly guitar. As far as playabillity goes, I wouldn't mind the fact that you'd need to get adjusted, but it shouldn't take ages.

Ans: I'm quite open to new ideas, not the way many bass players tend to be, which have to be some of the most open minded musicians, but on hte other hand I do own a lot of different guitars and I'll probably have a fretless coming in in the near future.

SECTION 2

Ans: Depends per guitar. I like the RR style V and other 'wilder' guitars like the Jackson Kelly, the Ibanez Xiphos and the ESP Explorer-style, but some other guitars like the Ibanez Maxxas aren't my cup of tea.

Ans: Eventhough playabillity and tone should be number one, I do like them to look good to. I'd always pay attention to the cosmetics.

Ans: Either solid, bright, 80's colours (neon pink, yellow and green) or a nice blue sunburst (or other translucent finishes).

Ans: Most of the guitars I use are pretty light and they sound fine to me. An ideal giggig guitar should be as light as possible though.

Ans: I guess around the weight of an Ibanez RG or a little above or below that.

Ans: If it's heavier than a Les Paul, don't bother.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by priceless_twirp
Thanks! Nice gear!! What u think of your VS6??

I still love it. I bought it years a go as my second guitar, but it's still great. The pickups need a swap, but the guitar itself is fine (also if you go to my profile you can see my kickass custom engraving on the pickguard and trussrod and electronics covers).
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
SECTION 1

Ans:depends on the guitar

Ans: depends on guitar

Ans:id rather a good guitar to a good looking bad to play guitar if that what you mean

Ans: i tend to only go for guitars by certain makes - bc rich , fender and gibson, or cheaper versions of the models

SECTION 2

Ans: well, they can go pretty wild bc rich guitars thats as wild as i would buy tbh
Ans: if the guitar sounds good but is a block of wood yet theres a flying v that plays like crap..i would prolly go for the v
Ans: black, dark blue, dark red are the colours i like

Ans: tone

Ans: prolly the weight of a stratocaster

Ans:les paul weight
Quote by Bonsaischaap
I still love it. I bought it years a go as my second guitar, but it's still great. The pickups need a swap, but the guitar itself is fine (also if you go to my profile you can see my kickass custom engraving on the pickguard and trussrod and electronics covers).

Kick ass!! i have two of the new Advanced range and love em both!