Just what the title says. I play with my thumb over the top of the neck sometimes, but that's about it. I used to hold my pick wrong, but I fixed that a couple years back. How about you guys?
Quote by Broadsword
I posted this in the last one, but yeah, some old dude in a McDonalds in Alabama called me an aardvark.

very unorthodox, ive never seen anyone who holds their pick like me, i use my thumb to fret chords all the time
Orthodox= conforming.

You were probably going for unorthodox.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by Child In Time
Orthodox= conforming.

You were probably going for unorthodox.

Nice going sherlock. Or maybe he meant, HOW ORTHODOX DO YOU PLAY YOUR GUITAR?

Geez, they both work.
Quote by JilaX^

Nice going sherlock. Or maybe he meant, HOW ORTHODOX DO YOU PLAY YOUR GUITAR?

Geez, they both work.

Yes, I'm aware. I was saying maybe he was going for the other.

Anyway, the title doesn't read well. If anything it should bay "How un/orthodox is your style of playing?"
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by Child In Time
Yes, I'm aware. I was saying maybe he was going for the other.

Anyway, the title doesn't read well. If anything it should bay "How un/orthodox is your style of playing?"

Or maybe it should SAY that.

I used to hold my pick weird between the thumb and middle knuckle on the index finger. Still do sometimes, other than that, I think everythings normal-ish although I wouldn't know having never had lessons.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
I'm pretty unorthodox. I don't play guitar as such, I just make noise.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
well as far as holding it and that stuff, it's all pretty orthodox. but if you're talking about theory and such, it's a little different. you know how in the blues scale there's some good places for chromatics? like places where you might just walk up a bit because it incorporates parts of the major blues scale as well as the minor, etc. well i say "**** that, i'll play chromatics wherever the **** i feel like it!" that'll show the principal.... do you guys think i might be expelled?
Quote by Ed Hunter
I used to hold my pick weird between the thumb and middle knuckle on the index finger. Still do sometimes, other than that, I think everythings normal-ish although I wouldn't know having never had lessons.

^that's how I hold my pick
I usually remove highest 3 strings and often use just an index finger of my left hand, everything in droped tunings. Rather unortodox.
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant
I use my other three fingers on my picking hand to hit other strings while I'm soloing on the top 2-3 with the pick.

I use my rather long fingernails to pick notes on the neck.

I use 3rd fret natural harmonics. (Not very unorthodox, I know, but I understand it to be pretty rare).

I have entire songs consisting of two-hand tapping. Not to be fast, but cause I needed a song and I lost my pick.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by steee21
I have pretty much no technique.

glad to see im not the only one....

anyway, i can play with the pick the right way, i just prefer not to...and most of the time a play with my thumb on the back of the fretboard
I try to play as orthodox as I can though it's hard sometimes. However, I'll probably never stop anchoring my picking hand (which = bad)
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I'm not really into experimental music or special effects, but I do go for a lot of special techniques which make my playing unorthodox compared to most bands you see today.

Stuff like pinch harmonics. I do those a lot. I tried tapping with my nose. That didn't work.
Quote by sashki
I'm not really into experimental music or special effects, but I do go for a lot of special techniques which make my playing unorthodox compared to most bands you see today.

Stuff like pinch harmonics. I do those a lot. I tried tapping with my nose. That didn't work.

You're good. I can't get the pinch harmonics down, and no one around here can teach me. I haven't been able to find anyone else who can do them.

So what do I do after I hit the string?
Quote by PopNFresh07
You're good. I can't get the pinch harmonics down, and no one around here can teach me. I haven't been able to find anyone else who can do them.

So what do I do after I hit the string?

It's kinda hard to explain...

What you do is you "choke" on your pick so that only the very tip is showing. I just move my thumb down a bit to cover more of the pick. Then, I really dig into the string, so that as it bounces back up, it hits the side of your thumb. That sound the harmonic. You then add vibrato with your left hand to raelly emphasize it.

It only works in some special places, called "harmonic nodes". You gotta experiment.
I play quite close to the tip sometimes, it just slips through my fingers alot of the time. I like tremolo picking alot! But, I've always been a great rhythm player in my opinion so I just stick with that.
I guess I play in a kind of unorthodox manner.

I usually play with a pick, but leave my fingers open. I think I need to stop doing that because it's causing strain on my fingers.

Sometimes I fingerpick, and when I do that I have my pinky press against the body to stabilize the rest of my hand while my other fingers to the dirty work. I don't assign fingers to strings either...sometimes I'll have my thumb pick the lowest three strings, and sometimes I'll have it play the lowest four, and not use my ring finger at all.

And with my fingers on the fretboard, I think I look a little bit like Eric Clapton in the sense that I don't put them perpendicular to the fretboard, but at a little bit of an angle. I don't know how orthodox that is though.
I play it pretty normal but the way i talk about it to my brother(we've been playing together for a WHILE now), is pretty strange. I'll tell him to play a high five three power chord and he'll know what i'm saying. Or a high seven five octave. It's all good.
I play pretty normally, although I occasionally do unorthodox things for effect, because I get a different sound or feel from them. That's really it though. Anything else is most likely a mistake.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I'm a Classically trained singer, but I have almost no formal training on the guitar. I fingerpick on acoustic without nails or picks, and I plant my pinky, even when picking with four fingers. My left hand keeps a very un-Classical position in order to use the thumb on the low E string, and I play a little low on the body because I think it brings out a brighter tone.
Death to Ovation haters!
i had no technique,but after my teacher saw me play he's trying to get me to play "correctly" and its really hard after playing for a year and practicing a lot only the wrong way -_-
I've never taken lessons, so I have no proper technique whatsoever. I play mostly guitars with the Gibson TOM bridge, and I do this wierd vibrato thing. I pick the note, then with my ring finger, I push the string down in between the bridge and the tailpeice, tapping to get the right effect.
i'm not sure how many people do this, but...

i play powerchords with a sort of "kurt cobain style" as i've seen it called before. i think most people play powerchords with more than two fingers, but i just rest my fingers on the frets. i'm not sure how many other people actually play it like i do or with more than two fingers

EDIT: i also use my thumb on chords sometimes as well