Hey guys.

I have a question, it's specific to my Gibson Explorer Gothic, it doesn't happen for my Carvins. But when i'm playing with my band (at high volume levels w/ drums) Basically when I go to palm mute the top E stirng (in my case C since i'm usuall in C Standard) lets out this mircophonic squeal each time.

It's only the top string, and only on this guitar.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the nut probably? Not sure.
My Band - Validus - Our Myspace
---
-Carvin DC400/DC200/DC727/CM140
-Ibanez JEM
-Gibson Exp. Gothic
-Custom V (Inc.)
---
-Splawn Nitro
-Carvin x100b
-Marshall JCM2k
-Meteora M.A.K. 3k
---
-Engl PRO 4x12
-Marshall 4x12/2x12
-Carvin 4x12
Any chance you could provide an audio sample?

I'm GUESSING- I'm not an audio technician or anything, just a teenager- that it's possible that the pickups in your Gibson are more sensitive to microphonic feedback (higher output maybe? some pickups are sealed in some wax to resist feedback) and being that you're palm muting, it may be easier for the speaker to give feedback or something... Cause when I'm playing, the ringing feedback doesn't come until the string has been vibrating for a while, and palm muting helps *mute* the string so it can feedback sooner... and being that you're playing at a higher volume, it is much easier to get that resonant feedback...
Does that make any sense? It's just a stab in the dark...
Last edited by RPGoof at Oct 12, 2007,
RPGoof...well said
SHOWBREAD

Quote by cheese_weasel
Winner of the intellectual comment of the day award.
I would think that would be the case, except my pickups in my Carvin = exact same as my explorer. (i loved how they sounded so i took out the carvins and put the same ones in there)
---
-Ibanez JEM
-Gibson Exp. Gothic
-Custom V (Inc.)
---
-Splawn Nitro
-Carvin x100b
-Marshall JCM2k
-Meteora M.A.K. 3k
---
-Engl PRO 4x12
-Marshall 4x12/2x12
-Carvin 4x12
After testing it out in band practice today it seemed to happen every single time i'd reach my palm back to mute after i was done playing the notes i was going to play. It's just a high pitched little sound. I don't think I could replicate it w/o recording at band prac lvl volumes which = not capable of playing in my house.
---
-Ibanez JEM
-Gibson Exp. Gothic
-Custom V (Inc.)
---
-Splawn Nitro
-Carvin x100b
-Marshall JCM2k
-Meteora M.A.K. 3k
---