I don't hear of this mode being used much, in metal at least. I read about the modes and this mode is diminished right? Meaning its "darker" sounding than the major and minor modes?

Anyway, I was wondering if any notable metal bands toyed around with this scale?
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
Locrian mode: 1, 2b, 3b, 4, 5b, 6b, 7b, 8
3b and 5b = diminished, so yes.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
you'd hear it more in jazz over top of diminished or half diminished 7 chords. Its not common at all. I cant think of any metal that uses it.
Tool kicks ass
It's not very common in alot of stuff is it? I heard it was really just suppose to be a scale theoretically.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
Lilly Allen the pop singer, sings in the locrain mode. I wouldn't really call it "dark", but like more "freaky", It is also used in Indian music.
It's not a "darker" sounding scale, it has that wierd diminished/tritone sound to it though. Most metal players just play a b5 with their regular minor scales anyway, so playing exclusively with the intervals from Locrian mode becomes obsolete.
If you really want to have a dark sound, maybe you could add some off-notes or blue notes? Passing notes before the fifth will enable you to use that tritone. How "dark" a mode/scale sounds really depends more on how you use it.

But your mostly right. The locrian mode is unstable and is generally called a dark mode.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
If you really want to have a dark sound, maybe you could add some off-notes or blue notes? Passing notes before the fifth will enable you to use that tritone. How "dark" a mode/scale sounds really depends more on how you use it.

But your mostly right. The locrian mode is unstable and is generally called a dark mode.

yeah I hear you. I listen to mostly COB, Arch enemy, In flames, Trivium, Megadeth, Pantera, etc.... kinda stuff and I know most of those bands are primarily the natural, harmonic, and pentatonic minor. But I was just curious from reading about the modes.

I like weird stuff that can sound out of place, and sorta want to have my own style besides the typical minor pentatonic shred stuff.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
i love the locrian mode. Buckethead uses it. Megadeth uses it (hangar 18=F# Locrian anyone?). It just sounds wierd, which makes it awesome