OK, I know you guys get this asked a lot, but I just want some ideas to jam over this progression I made. Yes, it involves the 3 most common chords in guitar history, but I came up with a reasonably catchy song that is fun to play, and for someone with no theory knowledge like myself, it's good enough. What can I use to jam over this? Also, sometimes when I just freestyle jam it, I throw in an F in there as well. Pentatonics are a plus!
-XKR
Quote by RPGoof
Any scale. Just play in the key of G.

Don't those statements contradict eachother? I think what you mean is any mode mode of the G major scale. You could also play E minor ( a mode of G maj.) or E pentatonic minor.
An threadstarter, are those all major chords?
Last edited by burning_snowman at Oct 12, 2007,
Quote by pucci6d6
G major
G minor
G pentatonic
i think?? im new to scales

I don't think that one would work.
G major pentatonic would work
G major
G major pentatonic
E minor
E minor pentatonic
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Whether or not the D is major or minor can make a difference. If it's minor, then you can use C Major. If it's major, then you can use G Major.
Quote by Vittu0666
Whether or not the D is major or minor can make a difference. If it's minor, then you can use C Major. If it's major, then you can use G Major.

For the progression to resolve properly, it would have to be D major
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
G major
G major pentatonic
E minor
E minor pentatonic
And you could probally use the c scale also which means you can do
C major
C major pentatonic
A minor
A minor pentatonic
founder of the MXPX group, pm me to join

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!!!!!!

Wii number: 7054 3894 4223 2011
Quote by blue_strat
Also G Mixolydian, D Mixolydian, C Lydian.

using G mixolydian would work but because the progression includes a D major chord (D F# A), the flat 7th (F) might not sound right.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Over the C and G chords it would sound ok though. If you were using the G major scale, and played the C over the G chord, it could clash with the B in the chord.