Ok, so after finally talking the other guitarist in my band to not get a Line 6 Spider halfstack, hes decided he wants a Marshall JVM.

Im not too sure if he's made up his mind whether to get the head and cab, or the combo (both 100 Watt), but still, he has a few questions.

Can the JVM get a modern metal tone like All That Remains (not full on death metal like). Im pretty sure it can do everything else and should have a good clean channel for him. I just wasnt sure if it could get heavy enough.

Anyone tried one?
yeah, it can get pretty heavy, but it's pretty fizzy at low volumes.

It's certainly a contender at the price range, but a laney vh100r, tt100/50h, engl blackmore, koch twintone/multitone (probably have to order from thomann to stay within the budget) would also be worth a look/try...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Got to try one pretty loud yesterday, and despite being slightly dubious, was quite impressed. It can do pretty much any "Marshall" tone and more, and had plenty of gain to do modern metal. It wasn't the most brutal sound I've heard, but you're not looking for death metal.

It simply had too many features that I wouldn't use, but then that may be right up your street.
Ive suggested the VH to him but hes a bit of a tit and hes quite set on Marshall. You know people who just get an idea fixed in theyre mind and wont budge? Thats him all over.

Unfortunately Ive never seen a Laney anywhere around for him to go try, but I suggested it to him and told him its reputation is pretty good. I also told him he probably wouldnt get to crank the JVM as its 100W. I dont think he knows the difference between SS and tube.

Thankyou for your suggestion. Whether or not he'll listen to me is another story.
I Would say it appraoches the modern high gain style quite nicely. Great Saturation.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by littlemurph7976
Ive suggested the VH to him but hes a bit of a tit and hes quite set on Marshall. You know people who just get an idea fixed in theyre mind and wont budge? Thats him all over.

Unfortunately Ive never seen a Laney anywhere around for him to go try, but I suggested it to him and told him its reputation is pretty good. I also told him he probably wouldnt get to crank the JVM as its 100W. I dont think he knows the difference between SS and tube.

Thankyou for your suggestion. Whether or not he'll listen to me is another story.

punch him a couple of times in the nads, that'll sort him out.

Either that or realise he's a tool, and you can get more fun out of seeing him buy something that might not be right.

of course, if he's in your band it might affect you too, so the swift punch to the nads is probably the better option.

Don't get me wrong, the JVM is certainly a contender- it's just it makes no sense not to at least try its competition.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Hahaha sigged
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
JVM can get heavy, but imo opinion its high gain is pretty muddy--my test for that was playing the chord passage from the chorus of Final Product by nevermore, and the notes didn't have enough distiction to truly hear the diffferences between the chords well.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Will do

Ive told him not to decide on anything until he tries alot of amps out. He says he likes Dual Recs now because Metallica use them. I suppose thats OK.

I dont really know what is going on inside his strange little mind but hopefully he'll see sense and buy something decent.

Shred: I dont think we'll be going as heavy as Nevermore, more along the lines of Trivium heavy (dont start) at the most. And not **** "lets-copy-Metallica" Trivium, the older Trivium. Can it handle that?
it can handle it. but i think you can do better for the money a jvm costs. maybe a peavey 6505+ or maybe a second hand dual rec
^ew dual rectos

ive tried it and i guess it can go that heavy... i personally think its gain is over done, and i didnt like it because there was no middle ground so to speak (slight breakup)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by Def
it can handle it. but i think you can do better for the money a jvm costs. maybe a peavey 6505+ or maybe a second hand dual rec

I have a 5150II which is the same thing and he says he didnt really like it because its not versatile enough for him. He likes his blues lol.

I could see him go for a Dual Rec happily. I quite like them myself.

Ok, I have a list of amps he likes that Ive suggested to him:
- JVM
- Dual Rec
- Triple Rec
- ENGL Fireball

Which of those do you think would go with my 5150 best?
Quote by littlemurph7976
Will do

Ive told him not to decide on anything until he tries alot of amps out. He says he likes Dual Recs now because Metallica use them. I suppose thats OK.

I dont really know what is going on inside his strange little mind but hopefully he'll see sense and buy something decent.

Shred: I dont think we'll be going as heavy as Nevermore, more along the lines of Trivium heavy (dont start) at the most. And not **** "lets-copy-Metallica" Trivium, the older Trivium. Can it handle that?

i thought metallica used diezels now? at least some of the time...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well i dont know about the chemestry but if i were playing metal id go for the kick as engl
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by Dave_Mc
i thought metallica used diezels now? at least some of the time...

I think James does now but Kirk still uses Mesas I believe.
They have too many amps anyway spoilt bastards

I told him the ENGL is probably the most versatile and IMO ENGLs are veeeery nice amps but I dont know what he wants.

He has a list of some great amps, now its up to him to go and try them I suppose.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?