In my valveking I'm sure that my power tubes are going. Volume swelling in and out. Clicking sound, and theyve gone microphonic. Now I'm wondering, is there anyway I can squeeze a last few months out of them ?
I was thinking maybe this would work, as the amp has a half power sort of mode, so since i have 2 power amp tubes, i could switch them around, cause im guessing the one that isnt used when its switched over has more life in it.
Also anyone knows, why do some guitar techs play tube amps at really high volumes ? ive read about it being for some sort of matinence on the valves ? its been puzzling me what the benifit of this could be
yea run it on 1/2 watts it should still be loudenough. that iwll make it last a bit logner but you need new tubes quick
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Tube amps are said to sound best at high volumes. Plus, they break up at high volumes = easier distortion.

I say you get new tubes. Why do you wanna squeeze more out of them? Take it to a store, ask them to change them for you. They'll bias the amp, too, to make sure it sounds its best.
Power tubes don't go microphonic. Preamp tubes go microphonic.
Volume swelling though sounds like bad power tubes. Half power mode won't turn off one of the tubes, since it's a class AB amp, so that won't work. You can try pulling the tubes out and cleaning the contacts, but you'll most likely just need a new set of tubes.

Guitar techs crank amps after doing maintenance or modifications to make sure the amp works properly- if the amp is going to blow, it's better for it to blow on the workbench where it can be fixed rather than onstage when it's a bigger issue.
Quote by Def
In my valveking I'm sure that my power tubes are going. Volume swelling in and out. Clicking sound, and theyve gone microphonic. Now I'm wondering, is there anyway I can squeeze a last few months out of them ?
I was thinking maybe this would work, as the amp has a half power sort of mode, so since i have 2 power amp tubes, i could switch them around, cause im guessing the one that isnt used when its switched over has more life in it.
Also anyone knows, why do some guitar techs play tube amps at really high volumes ? ive read about it being for some sort of matinence on the valves ? its been puzzling me what the benifit of this could be

Unless it has 4 power tubes dont touch them, taking 1 out of a 2 power tube will damage it.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
im trying to take out the tubes now, but they seem really tightly in, and they dont seem to change the way pre amp tubes do. is there any trick does anyone know, or do they twist out ? im reluctant to push, cause i might end up snapping some circuit board or similar. oh and my amps the valveking 112
Quote by Roc8995
They pull straight out.

im getting alot of resistance. i think they may not come out that simply. i'll keep working on it though
You can wiggle them a bit side to side if they're being tough. They're supposed to be hard to pull out.
Quote by Roc8995
You can wiggle them a bit side to side if they're being tough. They're supposed to be hard to pull out.

got em. and changed em over. volumes consistent, but for how long. i'll get ordering a new set of power amp tubes now.