If anyone owns or has seen an Epiphone Les Paul, then they may have seen the thick finish.
On mine it looks like the guitar is wrapped in plastic and it's sort of tacky. I've seen other finishes which seem smooth and overall natural. However the finish on this just seems to be a thick coat of gloss.

I saw a thread a long time ago where someone sanded down a lot of the finish and put some smooth finish creme thing on. Any ideas of what I could do to make the finish less well...thick. Also would that be worth it? Or should I just leave the guitar as is and not mess with it?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
well, i dont really know. that is the same guitar i have (if its the guitar you have in the pics) and mine doesnt have the overly-glossed finish.
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
a picture might help. However if ur not happy with it, it might be worth it, but dont go OTT incase you screw it all up and end up thinking "OH LORD WHAT DID I DO TO THE BEAUTIFUL EPIPHONE"
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
^ Lol Yeah i'm a bit reluctant but if it turns out a better guitar then it might be worth it.

Quote by zackk
well, i dont really know. that is the same guitar i have (if its the guitar you have in the pics) and mine doesnt have the overly-glossed finish.

Pics should be in my profile, here the only ones I could find. Sorry about the size.

It just seems like instead of a light finish it's just some thick plastic stuff. Looks nice but it takes away from the wood grain I think.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Oct 12, 2007,
Mine is fairly shiny, but it's not overly thick. I guess you can sand it if wanted too and then maybe spray a thin coat of nitro over it. It might make it a bit more resonant...
Hey man thats a nice guitar! dont go sanding it! I sanded the finish off the back of my neck on my Epi Les Paul because it was sticky and horribe live!!! I used super fine sandpaper and the finsish on it now is fine and feel's GREAT! but I wouldn't do it to the whole body!

Im just going to wait till I deserve a real Les Paul lol.
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Quote by synth002
Hey man thats a nice guitar! dont go sanding it! I sanded the finish off the back of my neck on my Epi Les Paul because it was sticky and horribe live!!! I used super fine sandpaper and the finsish on it now is fine and feel's GREAT! but I wouldn't do it to the whole body!

Im just going to wait till I deserve a real Les Paul lol.

your right i'm just gonna wait to get a nice Gibson or Orville Les Paul Gold Top, maybe a Tokai or high end epiphone.

Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Mine is fairly shiny, but it's not overly thick. I guess you can sand it if wanted too and then maybe spray a thin coat of nitro over it. It might make it a bit more resonant...

I like the idea of more resonance but I think you guys are right for looks and a bit of resonance it probably isn't worth risking sanding the body of the guitar like that.

I still might consider the finish on the neck though, but that's probably for later on.