Wondering if anyone can reccommend somewhat easy songs from Children of Bodom. I'm trying Living dead beat at the moment, and the 2-strings alternate picking is bugging me. I'd need some technically easier songs to play to improve before going on harder songs. Thanks
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Try bed of razors. Pretty sweet song with a not to hard solo, you jsut might have to work at it and its got a nice little sweeping line that isnt all that hard either.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Needled 24-7 is not too bad.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Quote by troyponce
Needled 24-7 is not too bad.

yeah i'd recommend that one, it gives you a nice view into how they use flat 5ths, which i consider a trademark use.. and ofcourse six-uplet-thingies are very important in sounding like cob, n silent night bodom night is a real good workout onthat area, and fun too play aswell. it kinda depends on whether you want to tune all strings down 1 step, or just the e to dropped d, you'd have to arrange it all a little differently though
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
I would recommend Silent night bodom night to start with. It was the first bodom tune I ever learned adn it's a great song to.
Quote by KranGen
I would recommend Silent night bodom night to start with. It was the first bodom tune I ever learned adn it's a great song to.

I find those random sweeps in the middle pretty challenging, let me recommend Kissing the Shadows
Quote by Shred Head
I find those random sweeps in the middle pretty challenging, let me recommend Kissing the Shadows

random sweeps? well I don't know which sweeps you are talking about. But I do know that kissing the shadows has some of cob's most complex solos.
Thanks for the advice guys. I was thinking of Bed of Razors too, I'm currently working on it. I just bought Chaos Ridden Years DVD and it makes me wanna learn all their songs.

Edit: By the way, I was wondering how I should "attack" string skipping. For example, on the verse riff of Bed of Razors, would it be better to skip the strings using your wrist or your entire arm? Personally from what I experienced, I play a lot with my wrist but I'm trying to play more with my arm. Playing with your wrist seems more easy to me, but with your arm more accurate, and faster somewhat.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Oct 17, 2007,
Well I started with Downfall. I couldn't playing anything but normal rock before it, I practiced Downfall for a little over a month and I got it. I am now doing Evil Eye by Yngwie Malmsteen. It can take you far just too practice, and Downfall I think Downfall is easy enough.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by KranGen
random sweeps? well I don't know which sweeps you are talking about. But I do know that kissing the shadows has some of cob's most complex solos.

The parts Im talking about are those parts between the open strings that are played real quick on the 1st string (the thinnest one)
To be honest, the tempo is what bugs me in most songs. I can follow Are you dead yet? and Angels don't kill pretty easily, but most other songs are out of my... skills. And that's without solos. I think I should be able to play for example Bed of Razors intro at the same speed before I could try solos. Downfall's intro is still pretty fast for me too.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

I have a question about this particular riff from Downfall.

--20--------17--20--19-------------------
-------17-------------------20-------------
---------------------------------------------
4 1 1 4 3 4

I need to know what finger would you guys use for which note. I typed in numbers for how I play it, 1 being the index and 4 the pinky. The problem I find playing it like this is when using your index in these kind of patterns(and at this speed), you have to bar both strings with your index to make it sound better, but it still doesn't sound "right". Also on another riff...

-------------------------------------------------9------------------
--7--8--7--8--7--8--10--7------7--10--7------10--7---------
--------------------------------------------------------------7-----
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1 2 1 2 1 2 4 1 1 4 1 3 4 1 1/2

This is from Big Blue(F-Zero). Basicly on this one I'm wondering on the last note(hence why I put 1 and 2). If I use my index to bar, it sounds a little weird again, but using my F finger(sorry forgot how it's called in english), I have to slightly move my hand to the left which make it sound weird again.

Basicly I just need to know what finger to use in these kind of patterns, since it has been bugging me for a while.

Edit: Sorry the numbers representing fingers are misplaced, but I think you get the draft. On the first riff it's about the two 17th fret notes, and on the second one it's the last note.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by Spike6sic6
I have a question about this particular riff from Downfall.

--20--------17--20--19-------------------
-------17-------------------20-------------
4 1 1 4 3 4

I need to know what finger would you guys use for which note. I typed in numbers for how I play it, 1 being the index and 4 the pinky. The problem I find playing it like this is when using your index in these kind of patterns(and at this speed), you have to bar both strings with your index to make it sound better, but it still doesn't sound "right". Also on another riff...

-------------------------------------------------9------------------
--7--8--7--8--7--8--10--7------7--10--7------10--7---------
--------------------------------------------------------------7-----
1 2 1 2 1 2 4 1 1 4 1 3 4 1 1/2

This is from Big Blue(F-Zero). Basicly on this one I'm wondering on the last note(hence why I put 1 and 2). If I use my index to bar, it sounds a little weird again, but using my F finger(sorry forgot how it's called in english), I have to slightly move my hand to the left which make it sound weird again.

Basicly I just need to know what finger to use in these kind of patterns, since it has been bugging me for a while.

Edit: Sorry the numbers representing fingers are misplaced, but I think you get the draft. On the first riff it's about the two 17th fret notes, and on the second one it's the last note.

1 2 1 2 1 2 4 1 1 4 1 3 4 1 2

I would do this. The first one I would do just like you.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Mask of Sanity

It's a lot of fun to play, the solo is pretty easy too
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
Another quesition, what are the hardest songs? Hatebreeder? What else?
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
I think the first song I'll learn including the solo will be Bed of Razors. The solo itself doesn't look mad hard and it's not very long. I read about practicing at a slow speed for a long time, until you get it totally right, and building up the tempo slowly. I already saw a change in my playing. Before trying this "trick" I probably couldn't have played Bed of Razors intro at 110 speed, which isn't that great, BUT now I'm able to play it at 120, so it's already quite a change. When I can play it at real speed(140), the rest of the song shouldn't be too hard. It's gonna be a proof I got much better and that I can play the solo too, with practice.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

In your face is fairly easy. Theres another thread with this exact same question.
Quote by Spike6sic6
...Before trying this "trick"...

Lol that's not much of a trick. That's just a basic principle of practice. But yes, sadly most people don't do this.

Also, to contribute to the thread... it's probably not one of the hardest songs, but I just think Warheart is extremely fun to play. So learn that because it's totally kickass.