its kind of a beginner question, but is ionian the same as the major scale, because i keep seeing lessons saying ionian (major scale), but some websites show them differently
Yes. Ionian = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Major = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Ionian is the modal name for the major scale, just like how the Aeolian scale is the same as the Natural Minor.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
They aren't?

The have Ionian and Major in different places but they show the shapes/notes as the same.

I bet that's just in case someone only knows the major scale as ionian or vice versa.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
No they are not anyone who says they are is stupid! Major is a Scale and Ionian is a mode. For example If a someone told you song is in D major,you still have no idea what the song is going to sound like, because it can be in Ionian, Dorian, or Lydian modes, and still be in the key of D Major! But if Someone told you a song is in the Ionian mode, you have a pretty good idea what it is going to sound like. If a song is in "C major Lydian" The C major part just tells you the notes in the song,but the lydain part gives an idea for the sound!
Quote by scarlet20
No they are not anyone who says they are is stupid! Major is a Scale and Ionian is a mode. For example If a someone told you song is in D major,you still have no idea what the song is going to sound like, because it can be in Ionian, Dorian, or Lydian modes, and still be in the key of D Major! But if Someone told you a song is in the Ionian mode, you have a pretty good idea what it is going to sound like. If a song is in "C major Lydian" The C major part just tells you the notes in the song,but the lydain part gives an idea for the sound!

No, they're the same.

D Ionian is just the modal name for D major. If a song is in D major then it's in D major because it's the chords that define the key....from the looks of it you haven't quite got your head round the concept yet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The best way to determine if two scales are similar is by comparing their intervals.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by scarlet20

D Major/Ionian (Whichever you want to call it, it's the same tonal center)'s key sig has 2 sharps (F and C). D Dorian is the second mode of C Major, which has 0 sharps and 0 flats. D Lydian is the 4th mode of A Major, which has 3 sharps (F, C, and E). As you can see, none of these are the same. If someone says a song is in D Major, then that means D is the tonal center. If someone tells you a song is in D Mixolydian, then the notes are the same as G Major, but the tonal center is D.
Thank you Vittu, that cleared up a lot for me as well. Jimi, just keep in mind that a major scale is a scale, and modes define what degree of the scale you are starting on. Just try to work things out using the basics. Check out the MT sticky and it explains a lot about modes, scales and keys. There's a ton of info to learn, and it's all summed up in that thread.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401