http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-legis12_weboct12,0,6245540.story
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=55754

This is starting in Illinois. I live in Illinois. Anyone else getting "year zero" vibes about this?

oh and they call it mandatory "silence" but then go on later to explain that students need time to pray in the morning.
R.I.P. S.R.V. dimebag ain't got nothin' on you.
R.I.P. Hendrix... nevermind, god can't die
It's not necessarily to pray. It could be to ponder their lives.

what a waste of time.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
The links say about a mandatory silence, not mandatory prayer. You don't have to pray, you only have to shut up for the ridiculously lengthy time of one minute.

I'm sure you'll manage.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
I missed this place, ah its good to be back.

Fight the power brothers, remember frenchy is your friend.
They're sure as hell not making me pray.

Everyone at my school knows my stance on religion, and if they try to make me, I'm not praying.

I already don't say the "under god" part in the pledge. If they're going to make me be quiet so other people can telepathically talk to a cosmic jewish zombie who became his own dad, fine. But when they make me do it myself, theres gonna be issues.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
so you can get an extra minute to sleep...

nice, no?
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Last edited by x_thurston_x at Oct 12, 2007,
Quote by The Overlord
The links say about a mandatory silence, not mandatory prayer. You don't have to pray, you only have to shut up for the ridiculously lengthy time of one minute.

I'm sure you'll manage.

Think about it. One minute, every day, for 180 days. That's equal to three hours. Three hours that could be spent reproving the fundamental theorem of calculus, or something.

Because that's what average high school students do in their free time.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
my school has a moment of silence every morning.
i don't pray.
i just spit game on all the ladies in my advisory
Quote by Jimbou
I wish my sister asked me to do it again..she's really hot....

I'm going to hell

EDIT..mmhhh, I would stand going to hell if I could do it again now
Quote by JC13
No kidding, seriously they aren't even going to make you stand up.. Why complain man?

because its just a step on the ladder to what could come next
Quote by bigbunny
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-legis12_weboct12,0,6245540.story
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=55754

This is starting in Illinois. I live in Illinois. Anyone else getting "year zero" vibes about this?

oh and they call it mandatory "silence" but then go on later to explain that students need time to pray in the morning.

we found out today also. i think its just a cheap way to get around the division of church and state, but our teachers admit that they're not going to do it unless multiple students in the classes really want to have it. after all, theres no way to enforce it.

also, what part of illinois are ye from TS. im from Batavia
ehh
Ya im from Batavia, and our teachers told us today. Even though im Christian, i really dont understand the point of this. Thats just my opinion though
Quote by Joshrocker48
I like you, as a fellow vocalist I like that you are here on UG and admit to not being a guitarist.
Bravo.

Quote by arsonite
GTFO non-guitarist!

Joke
So can't those guys pray at home or something? Do they have to pray like each every couple of hours?
Weird Al = Awesome
Buckethead = Awesome
Ergo, Awesome = Buckethead = Weird Al
Quote by Hart_Attack
the logic... its. so. precise! you broke the code! hail Omni-Ragnarok for answering lifes biggest question, who is buckethead.
Quote by macho man
Pray to Satan out loud.

WIN!!!
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by macho man
Pray to Satan out loud.

OMG YES! and im from machesney park
Quote by macho man
Pray to Satan out loud.

Damn near best post today...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Yeah, we heard something about it today, but it hasn't been enforced yet. I live near Batavia.

I play piano and guitar.
Do you play piano?
Add me.
:]
Ya, i dont mind it, i just think its trivial

P.S. Where do u live raindropsXroses? Cause if its near batavia ive prolly been there
Quote by Joshrocker48
I like you, as a fellow vocalist I like that you are here on UG and admit to not being a guitarist.
Bravo.

Quote by arsonite
GTFO non-guitarist!

Joke
OMFG that iz liek s0 nazi of dem to dew. liek, there iznt even a god, wh4t mor0ns. itz so raceist againt smrt atheeists liek me. lol dumb chirschins, grow a brain nd reelise ders no god.
Quote by JC13
I'm a Catholic, and even I have to say that'd be hilarious to see someone using that time to pray to satan/do a bunch of made up rituals.. .

"And may the demons submit to my will and let the angels become my whores as we bow to the mighty Satan."
Quote by HuckIt
Quote by Archaon
OMFG that iz liek s0 nazi of dem to dew. liek, there iznt even a god, wh4t mor0ns. itz so raceist againt smrt atheeists liek me. lol dumb chirschins, grow a brain nd reelise ders no god.

And how would your smart religious man feel if everyday in school we renounced religion and said it does no exist.
Quote by Metallica rulz
And how would your smart religious man feel if everyday in school we renounced religion and said it does no exist.

I'm not religious at all.
Quote by Archaon
I'm not religious at all.

Well your answer was an obvious sarcastic stereotype that atheists are all dumb, and l33t speakers.
Or maybe you just think this isnt a big deal?
It isn't really, but just because it isn't the biggest thing in the world, doesn't mean we cant voice our displeasure.
im from harwood heights and **** that i aint prayin but i will be silent for a minute
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by Metallica rulz
Well your answer was an obvious sarcastic stereotype that atheists are all dumb, and l33t speakers.
Or maybe you just think this isnt a big deal?
It isn't really, but just because it isn't the biggest thing in the world, doesn't mean we cant voice our displeasure.

No, it wasn't an 'obvious sarcastic stereotype that atheists are all dumb', it was an obvious sarcastic stereotype that a lot of teeny "atheists" are ****ing stupid.

Note that I said "a lot" and not "all"
Also note teeny, as in teenager.

And the leet speak would be part of the sarcasm, not the stereotype itself.
The fundamentalist Christians in the U.S. government have clever ways of getting you to do what they want you to do. A moment of silence so Christians can pray (and other religions can too, but they only say that for legal purposes), and a pledge of allegiance where all students are forced to stand in respect for a country that could care less about them so long as it makes money.

Edit:// And I technically consider myself a Christian, so don't go bashing me about being atheist or anything. I just don't follow the Bible 100%, because I believe it's a corrupted piece of literature. The message is deep in there, but it's still visible through the muddy haze of hypocrisy.
I just really don't like religion and government mixing. It only works if the whole nations believes the same thing, and if the U.S. promotes freedom of religion, then that's simply impossible.

/end rant.
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
Last edited by scarfacesuit at Oct 12, 2007,
i have that too, only they call it a "moment of silence"

what bullsh*t
Quote by carmel_l
Frenchy's red.
Finally, true communism will ensue.
I think
E-Married to the very beautiful Epic_Cleavage also soon to be married to Epic_Cleavage, aka the beautiful Ms. Joanna Moore
Scarface, i could not agree more. Well said.
Quote by Joshrocker48
Bravo.

Quote by arsonite
GTFO non-guitarist!

Joke
My highschool has been doing that after the national anthem for years. I don't see big the big deal...
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Quote by macho man
Pray to Satan out loud.

+1 "dear satan, thanks for the great dogsblood you gave me and my friends last night, will you please bless me with great guitar skills, rock on"
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp