Try not to think of me as a total idiot for asking this, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to singing.
I hear bands where the singer has a rough, sort've gravelly (if that's a word) tone to his/her voice. I was just wondering, does this come with voice come with age, is it something your born with, or do you have to learn it? I'm 13 years old, and whenever I try to sing, its always a really smooth, clean voice, but I'm not a fan of my voice. I've been trying to get that hard, rough tone, but it never works.
Any tips?
Grow up.

EDIT: it's puberty that you need to tackle first before getting to your voice.
Quote by dudetheman
That's....

an abomination. It's like a BC Rich had sex with an Ibanez, had an abortion, and it survived on the side of the road eating roadkill and drinking it's own urine.

Most metal guitar ever. Period.
Yes, it comes from being grown up, but it's also partly down to the inherent character of your voice. If it's not there by the time your 20 it'll never be there. Don't try and force your voice to sound like that either, it's not good for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Ahagin0
Smoke cigarettes

why are you giving the kids bad advice?!

Now excuse me while I smoke this joint...XD
Quote by dudetheman
That's....

an abomination. It's like a BC Rich had sex with an Ibanez, had an abortion, and it survived on the side of the road eating roadkill and drinking it's own urine.

A great start is to learn to sing with your stomach-use it and you get more power and that will change the sound of your voice. Almost like screaming but still not...
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by FelixJZ
Try not to think of me as a total idiot for asking this, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to singing.
I hear bands where the singer has a rough, sort've gravelly (if that's a word) tone to his/her voice. I was just wondering, does this come with voice come with age, is it something your born with, or do you have to learn it? I'm 13 years old, and whenever I try to sing, its always a really smooth, clean voice, but I'm not a fan of my voice. I've been trying to get that hard, rough tone, but it never works.
Any tips?

Whiskey. Lots and lots of whiskey. That's how Bon Scott did it... okay bad example.

For the most part it does just come with age. When I started my band all I can do was Sinatra-esque vocals. Now that I've been doing it for a year and a half, my voice has gotten rougher, but the good thing is that I can still sing smooth when the song calls for it. Stretch your voice, but don't do it enough so that you can't sing any other way besides rough.
Thanks guys, some helpful stuff here.

Quote by Ahagin0
Smoke cigarettes

No thanks
While waiting to grow up I suggest you learn how to properly breath.

and just practice for 6 years or so. XD
Quote by dudetheman
That's....