okay. i have writers block and i need a solution. i belive its because im playing stuff that sound almost identical to bands im listening to right now, i think its the key im playing ( C HARMONIC MINOR) so what key should i change to i play in drop C and metal so have to be able to play opens. thanks!
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
how would that change anything? because i would still be playing the same notes.
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
uh, no you wouldn't. change the tuning, but play at the same frets.

play in drop B or drop A#, those are some real manly tunings.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Play something different. Improv some blues over a backing track, comp some jazz, work at some new exercises, learn a classic rock solo or country riff. Search for inspiration.
move your hand up or down the fretboard... and keep your positioning the same.

this is called changing keys.

its extremely hard but i think youll get the hang of it.
go look at the goo goo dolls

Try writing in some of their tunings.

if you play around you can get some jazzy sounds, or some of the most beautiful acoustic pieces ever
Fender H Stratocaster USA.
SX P90 Mahogany Hawk
Gibson Les Paul Studio Double Cut

Delta Labs Tube Driver
Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion
Delta Labs Stereo Chorus
TC Nova Repeater
Korg Pitchblack Tuner Ped

Fender Super Champ XD
Yes, such an awesome idea. Change the guitar tunings and relearn all the notes on the fretboard and relearn all your shapes and relearn how to play chords and relearn how to play guitar. I'm sure you can sound real manly not knowing how to play guitar.

Expand your musical interest. Instead of writing just metal and listening to just metal, try some classical or some jazz or some blues or some latin or anything which you don't usually listen to. Really listen to music and think about what makes that song good.

And maybe it's even simpler than that. Maybe you don't like the tone of your guitar/amp, and maybe you don't even know it.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Writers block is a problem. Sometimes u have to leave it and try again another day.
But if change tunnings helps u then probably pick another one of your favorite tunnings or keys and learn from those!!
Chaning the key won't make a difference. All keys are exactly the same thanks to equal temperment tuning. This means that the intervals of each key are the exact same. Back in the day (pre-romantic era), this was not the standard, and some intervals were very un-natural sounding. This is where the idea that each key has its own unique feel to it comes from. It's not true with modern instruments.

So, you say you are playing in C Harmonic Minor. This is a scale, not a key. Changing this may open up some new ideas to you, but I doubt it. Try playing in melodic minor, major, or whole tone scales. However, what I think you need to do is open up your listening habits. Turn on some new music that you've never heard before, something that you wouldn't normally listen to. You'll definitely find some inspiration.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
listen to some different genre's analyze the songs and break them down seeing possiblites for songs, then work from there
|
i got something for you that could help..
new music

Dream Theater
Kamelot
James LaBrie
Nevermore
Opeth
Rush
Symphony X
Trail of Tears
Quote by Muphin
Chaning the key won't make a difference. All keys are exactly the same thanks to equal temperment tuning. This means that the intervals of each key are the exact same. Back in the day (pre-romantic era), this was not the standard, and some intervals were very un-natural sounding. This is where the idea that each key has its own unique feel to it comes from. It's not true with modern instruments.
Maybe. But I have a theory, one which probably can't be proven, that things sound as they do because of what we are used to hearing. Lets pretend if every evil sound was written in D minor, I think that key will start to sound evil (after many centuries btw). But I'm most likely wrong and an idiot, and you are not wrong and not an idiot. The intervals are the same in each key and you will sound the same harmonically and melodically.

Quote by crzywhiteboy
i got something for you that could help..
new music

Dream Theater
Kamelot
James LaBrie
Nevermore
Opeth
Rush
Symphony X
Trail of Tears
Thats all still metal. I'd suggest some classical or some folk (not just american, but try irish and italian and eastern european) or some blues or some jazz.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
what I do for inspiration is I listen to different types of music and improvise over them on the spot.

Look up some free backing tracks on google. Buy a CD of them. Play over some instrumental music (video game, movie, classical, etc), or even jam along with a track...

if your playing too much like the bands you listen to, play along with something you wouldn't normally.

just improvise, and let the music in your head flow out. Remember some of the neat things you end up doing, and write them down. Then use your knowledge of theory to apply them to anything you can think of.

remember -- a neat blues or jazz lick can easily be imported into other styles (same goes for any type of lick really) depending on the context in which they are played (speed, amount of distortion, tone, etc)

I'm assume your listening to metal. I advise moving away from that simply to gain inspiration, and to apply what you learn to metal.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q