ok instead of making a new topic everytime i have a question ill just post here so here's one

ok where can i download Power Tab so i can use the power tabs?or guitar pro?
Guitar pro you have to buy but theres a free trial.

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

Great program.
Quote by Wolven
So we decided since all we did was play Mortal Kombat and watched Power Rangers, we could defend ourselves, so we went and grabbed a bunch of crap to bombard the thing with.
powertab is completely free...just google "download powertabs" ...kinda obvious
Power Tab is alot like Guitar Pro i think. And u have to pay for Guitar Pro. I have Power Tab, and id use it alot if my sound worked on my computer.
ok i downloaded it but what do i do to make it work? like i have it as a zipped folder and when i downloaded a power tab song it says "widows cannot open file"
ok there's this song im tryin' to learn and it has this
-------------------
-------5-------------
-------5----------
-------------------
-------3------------
------------------
and i have trouble not hitting the string in the middle are there any tips or techniques that would help?
Lay your middle finger on the 4th string without pressing down. That string will be muted as a result when you strum through it and will sound all but identical.

Alternatively, you could allow the flesh of your index finger to clip the middle string so it will be muted when played. I think you should probably avoid that for the time being though, since if you're just starting out, you should get in the habit of trying to keep your fingers as upright as possible -- at least to begin with.
Quote by Serotonin
Lay your middle finger on the 4th string without pressing down. That string will be muted as a result when you strum through it and will sound all but identical.

Alternatively, you could allow the flesh of your index finger to clip the middle string so it will be muted when played. I think you should probably avoid that for the time being though, since if you're just starting out, you should get in the habit of trying to keep your fingers as upright as possible -- at least to begin with.

ok thanks i wasnt sure if mutting it would be good or not but thanks for letting me know
Quote by midnight ride
ok there's this song im tryin' to learn and it has this
-------------------
-------5-------------
-------5----------
-------------------
-------3------------
------------------
and i have trouble not hitting the string in the middle are there any tips or techniques that would help?

theres no way you can play that with a pick and not hit the string in the middle

cause there isnt an 'X' in the middle of 3 and 55, it means you have to simultaneously pluck all three notes. i suggest the thumb for the fifth string and the index finger and middle finger for the g-string and b-string
Quote by fadetowhite
theres no way you can play that with a pick and not hit the string in the middle

cause there isnt an 'X' in the middle of 3 and 55, it means you have to simultaneously pluck all three notes. i suggest the thumb for the fifth string and the index finger and middle finger for the g-string and b-string

so i'm guessing that i should play the whole song with my fingers since it has a riff simular to that a lot in it, right?
Quote by midnight ride
so i'm guessing that i should play the whole song with my fingers since it has a riff simular to that a lot in it, right?

That depends on what the song is, a lot of tabbers just don't bother to put the Xs in the middle of things like that, what song is it?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
With the PowertabEditor after you have downloaded it, make sure you unzip it. You then need to INSTALL it. This is why windows cannot open the powertab.

Windows must be told that powertabeditor is on the computer, so get your mouse and install it!
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
Quote by apalm
With the PowertabEditor after you have downloaded it, make sure you unzip it. You then need to INSTALL it. This is why windows cannot open the powertab.

Windows must be told that powertabeditor is on the computer, so get your mouse and install it!
i have it fixed now sorry i guess i should have posted it

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That depends on what the song is, a lot of tabbers just don't bother to put the Xs in the middle of things like that, what song is it?

It's "Hot Blooded" by foreigner and its the power tab version (since people tab it differently)
I've watched the song on youtube and by the looks of the video the guitarist actually uses hybrid picking to play sections like that so you'd use a pick to play the bass note (3rd fret, C) and play the top two notes (C and E) with your middle and ring fingers.

If you're new to the technique here's a good lesson on it: CHRISTOPHER DAHL!

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
ok new question: What should i learn? i can play a song and i can play a lot of chords pretty well but, what should i focus on? like should i learn scales or more songs?
1 - If you have a new question start a new thread.

2 - You should devote equal time to all areas of playing guitar so equal parts technique, theory, musicianship (improving etc) and other people's songs.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.