I'm new to electric guitars. Been playing acoustics for some time. My question is this: How do you get the incredable sustain that you hear all the time? I have a GC Strat and a Fender Princeton Chorus amp.
Durn you're quick Sound Mind!! But I need Details on how to dial it in. Thanks for the push in the right direction!
Vibrato. Volume and distortion too, if used effectively. But clear fretting goes a long way, as does the nature of the guitar. For instance, a Gibson LP, made out of heavier wood (mahogany) will sustain longer than say, an alder body strat.
Tremolo bridges also rob a fair bit of sustain compared to a hardtail. A compressor can help a little with clean tones, however for distorted tones your best bet is to have a tube amp nice and loud and manipulate the feedback...plenty of midrange always helps too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
+1

Steven is right. Also, turn up the OD and turn the pressure level (volume) down. I am learning Samba Pa Ti by Santana, he does lots of hammer-ons and pull-offs and you have to get the OD up to get the tone and it works well.

Hope this helps

Chris
First I want to thank everyone for their timely input. Now that I've gone electric I know I have a long learning curver ahead of me. But that's part of the fun.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I have a DOD FX7. All I have to do know is figure out how to use it. HA! Ha! Anyone out there have one? What would be the best settings for what I'm looking for -sustaing sustain?

RCShadow you hit the bullseye. I'm also "trying" to learn Samba Pa Ti.

Thanks guys!
Quote by gunns
RCShadow you hit the bullseye. I'm also "trying" to learn Samba Pa Ti.Thanks guys!

It is a beautiful piece. I am "trying" as well. I got the first couple of bars down and now I have been trying to play it with that "Santana feeling" lol.

Have a look at this version Santana did, I love this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTSJvh9Y56w

Good luck to you

Chris
RCShadow,
When I'm heard trying to play it I'm told I'm very trying! I checked the Utube site. Santana is really something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See Ya
Gunns
Quote by gunns
RCShadow,
When I'm heard trying to play it I'm told I'm very trying! I checked the Utube site. Santana is really something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See Ya
Gunns

Yep! What's funny is...the notes are really not that hard, it's more of a technique thing for sure. I need work on my double-stops ...

Chris
Action is another factor with sustain. If your strings are ultra low like most shredders like them they won't have as much sustain because when you bend the strings will "choke out" on the frets.
This doesn't mean you have to raise your strings ungodly high, but if you're not into shredding you don't have to keep them as low as they usually do.
Pickup height also affects sustain. If your pickups are too close to the strings, the magnetic field generated will interfere with the string's vibration.
Actually guys, pretty much the build of the entire guitar will effect sustain, meaning types of wood used, bone nut vs. plastic, brand and type of tuners, strings of course, setup and action. They all play a part in how well those strings ring on for. I recently swapped out the factory plastic saddle on my acoustic Alvarez for a bone, and the sustain went up drastically. I also just purchased a Gibson SG and it blows my Strat clone out of the water for sustain(and everything else I might add). If you can get good sustain out of a clean channel, no mud added in, then cranked up, it ought to be good. Keep your strings clean and change them out frequently, like every other week if your doing some serious playing. That'll help tremendously.
you could always get a fernandes sustainer kit if ur into that kind of thing.