Heya well ive been playing guitar for about 3 months and have been loving every minute of it. I currently have an ibanez acoustic. Im looking for an electric guitar. I have about 550 for the guitar and about 150 i can spend for an amp. I was looking for suggestions on a good guitar thats gonna last a while. I play Ska, Punk, Indie-ish.
Also can i get suggestions on amps too.

THanks.
550 what exactly ,,,, pounds? US dollars?

And you might wanna rethink your spending plan, Concentrate the most money onn the amplifier, an expensive guitar through a cheap amp isnt going to sound its best,
A cheap guitar through an expensive or at least fairly expensive amp is going to sound better than its price implies
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
yeah. more money on the amp. if you spend 150 on an amp, youre gonna sound terrible
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
Sajuuk is right. For a beginning setup definitely concentrate on getting what you want in the amp first, then guitar. Fact is down the line you're going to buy multiple guitars and your preferences may change from one thing to another but you need something to learn on - your taste in amp won't be so touchy.

For cheap but awesome guitars check out Epiphone. Their Les Paul Studio's are some of the best deals around - simply change the pickups to get the sound of a genuine Gibson (I should know, I have one). Hagstrom is another "cheap" brand to check out. Their new 2007 guitars (Ultra Lux and Ultra Swede) have some nice features for the price... and the price is cheap!

Of course most people will tell you it's most definitely worth it to just keep saving until you can buy what you want without having to sacrifice with 'cheap' gear.
Well could u guys maybe link me or gimme a name of a good amp for not to much and then i can go from there
Save up some more and buy a used tube amp and an RG321.

You'll be set for awhile, but you'll have to save to get maybe $600-750.
not sure if thats a lot of money (i'm from england) but You could try looking into marshall AVT's or VOX valve states I suppose,
Or some cheaper full tube amps I think epiphone do a little 5 watt tube
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Vox makes a couple lines of modeling amps called the XL line (for high gain) and the Valvetronic line for more traditional amp models. They are pretty cool solid state amps that would work well to start out with. There are a different power ranges for more or less in price. Check those out at voxamps.co.uk. Check out the audio demos.

Most important thing we need to know, though, is what do you want in an amp? A good clean channel? Nice distortion, or built in effects? Lots of power or a little?
Put all of your money together. Now split it. I think the best way to go would be around 50/50. About half of the money on the guitar, and half on the amp. You could get a decent setup.

What I have is a VoxAD30VT and a Fender Standard MexiStrat. Together, it would be about your budget if not cheaper. I really recommend the Vox. It is, in my opinion, the best amp for that kind of money. As for the guitar, you don't need to get a Fender. There are plenty of other good guitars for low cost.
My Gear:
  • Baby Blue Fender MexiStrat
  • Vox AD30VT

MikeLikes2Rock, I tried your idea, Genius!

Yeah, I'm a genius.
Quote by sajuuk
not sure if thats a lot of money (i'm from england) but You could try looking into marshall AVT's or VOX valve states I suppose,
Or some cheaper full tube amps I think epiphone do a little 5 watt tube

I personally haven't found a AVT that I liked. something like a Crate V8 Palomino would be good, or if you wanted a good variety of effects to use, I would get a Roland Microcube.

Guitar wise, Ibanez RG321's are really good value, also look at a Yamaha Pacifica 112.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Yeah, man. An Ibanez RG321 (which is the cheaper version of the very sweet RGT42FX, which I'd personally save for) and a Vox AD30VT (or XL) seems like a pretty damn good beginning setup.

EDIT: Those Crate Palomino amps - more specifically the V16 - are awesome. Maybe even the best amp for the price there is.
Last edited by Johnny Two Tone at Oct 12, 2007,
Quote by MikeLikes2Rock
Put all of your money together. Now split it. I think the best way to go would be around 50/50. About half of the money on the guitar, and half on the amp. You could get a decent setup.

What I have is a VoxAD30VT and a Fender Standard MexiStrat. Together, it would be about your budget if not cheaper. I really recommend the Vox. It is, in my opinion, the best amp for that kind of money. As for the guitar, you don't need to get a Fender. There are plenty of other good guitars for low cost.

I disagree, the amp is going to have a more significant effect on tone than the guitar and when it comes to replacing them they are generally bloody pricey, best to devote as much money as you can to the amp now and get the best you can so it'll last you longer and give you more to play with as you develop
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
from an amp i just want good normal sound...i dont need distortion i dont think cause isnt that for metal? btw if i split 50/50 it'd be 350 for guitar wich i could get 50 more and get a epi les paul
distortion not jsut for metal , almost every genre uses it like blues, rock, even some country
Metal just tends to rely on more intense a distortion than most
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Id say a crate palomino v16. For guitar, hmm, im a big lp fan personally but you probably would want a fat strat.
In your price range I would look at something like an Agile or Michael Kelly (The Agile would most likely cost less leaving you more cash for a nice amp). The one problem is that you won't find Agiles and there is a low likelyhood of finding an MK in your local area to test play. They are both great guitars for the dough and are better deals than Epiphones (which carry the same overpriced bug that Gibsons do).

As far as amps go maybe check into a smaller tube combo (you don't need 100w unless you hate your neighbors and your hearing ) . Or you could look into a modelling amp which will allow you to figure out more of what you want to sound like, and what effects you like using, etc. A lot of people recommend Roland Cubes or Vox units, and I think that Behringer V-amp units are decent for the price too.
i wouldn't necessarily say spend the vast majority on the amp- really cheap guitars can suck as much, if not more, than really cheap amps, and when you're only starting, your ear for tone might not have developed yet, but you'll notice if the fretboard shreds your fingers ok... around the $500, i'd probably split the budget 50:50, or close to 50:50.

that being said, you could probably afford a fender blues junior- that'd be my pick, or maybe a crate v-series/palomino (haven't tried those) if you play heavier punk. that should set you back around $400.

That'd leave you about $300 for the guitar. Yamaha pacifica would be a good choice- you can get the 112 for $200, if you're lucky you could maybe get the 412 or 612 for $300. EDIT: if you can gather a little more for the guitar, a mexi strat/tele or fat (with bridge humbucker) versions of those would also be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?