Yeah hand me down 94 Kia Sephia and the stock stereo isnt cutting it so today i replaced the tape deck w/ a cd deck, swapped out all the stock speakers and when I went to wire my amp and sub i couldnt for the life of me find a damn gap in the firewall. Anyone know where it might be or how i can get through the damn thing. I was thinking about drilling maybe or possibly runing the wire through the steering colum gromet but im not sure if thats such a good idea.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I'm sorry, I can't help you in anyway, but I love your avatar.

I'm useless, I know...
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
Quote by soul_power
Yeah hand me down 94 Kia Sephia and the stock stereo isnt cutting it so today i replaced the tape deck w/ a cd deck, swapped out all the stock speakers and when I went to wire my amp and sub i couldnt for the life of me find a damn gap in the firewall. Anyone know where it might be or how i can get through the damn thing. I was thinking about drilling maybe or possibly runing the wire through the steering colum gromet but im not sure if thats such a good idea.

DO NOT CUT THROUGH THE FIREWALL!!!!!
its called that for a reason.
i.e. to prevent your engine's heat from setting your car on fire.

so

have a pro install your stuff.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
we are guitar players. not mechanics!!! just kiddin. but don't have a clue.
HACK IT!

GET HACKZ0r on that bitch

sorry
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Look harder
Use the holes where all the other wires go....
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Schneiderman
Look harder
Use the holes where all the other wires go....

I read on Kia's site that they run all their wires from behind the dash so basically I would have to take my whole dash off.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
I read on Kia's site that they run all their wires from behind the dash so basically I would have to take my whole dash off.

Sometimes to get all your fancy stereo and electronics, you gotta do some hard work.

I went through a ****load of trouble just trying to put a CD player and rear speakers in my 1972 coronet.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Silly people saying don't cut the firewall...

For pro help on this subject go to CarDomain.com in the forums.

As for what I can tell you, yes, you must drill through the firewall. Under normal circumstances you would just wire the power cable through an already present hole but if that's not an option it's drilling time. First find a spot near the driving column that you KNOW has nothing behind it - you don't want to drill through wiring/other crap on the other side. Make sure you use a proper bit for the job and that it's correctly sized fromt he get go. After making the cut make sure you slap a rubber ring that stays rimmed to the hole to prevent slicing of the insulation around the power cable. Even add baby powder to the rubber ring to make sure things don't bind or cut.